Kay Hilbrandt W A S P pilot ... W W I I

Post your feedback about a celebrity address you have tested. Win a $10 Gift Certificate! How? Test an Address and Post your Feedback!
caappy
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Kay Hilbrandt W A S P pilot ... W W I I

Post by caappy »

Kathleen (Kay) Hilbrandt started taking flying lessons in 1942, and in 1943 was accepted into the Women's Airforce Service Pilot (WASP) program. She attend Army Air Corps flight training (the same course as male pilots) in 1944, flying PT-17s, BT-13s and AT-6s. Then she served as a safety pilot in Eagle Pass, Texas, for aviation cadets performing instrument flights “under the hood”.

After the war, when the WASP was disbanded, she joined the Ninety Nines and returned to New Jersey to work for Bendix Aviation Corporation. Following that, she was a flight instructor, training veterans who were using their GI Bill to obtain flight training.

In 1960 she flew in the All Women Transcontinental Air Race (“Powder Puff Derby“) in a Cessna 172.

In 2010 the WASP were awarded the Congressional gold Medal for their service during WWII.

Sent her 2 photos on 11 Jan and got them back signed jon 11 Feb.. She also sent a copied sheet or her life and WASPS history..

Ms Kay Hilbrandt
c/o WASP Museum
210 Avenger Field Rd.
Sweetwater, TX 79556
admin
Site Admin

Re: Kay Hilbrandt W A S P pilot ... W W I I

Post by admin »

Hi caappy :)

Thank you for your feedback {up}

Would you have a scan of the envelope and picture you received please?
If so, you are in the run for the $10 gift certificate.

https://www.facebook.com/kay.hilbrandt

Fanmail 8)