Tips for buying on eBay?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
brandnewfan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Tips for buying on eBay?

Post by brandnewfan »

I'm looking to buy an Anton Yelchin autograph to add to my Star Trek collection, since he's passed away. eBay seems like my best bet. Does anyone have any advice or tips when buying on eBay to make sure I get a legitimate and real autograph?
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Tips for buying on eBay?

Post by Hartster »

Buy from a convention promoter who has hosted actors. More than likely, they will have autographs because either an actor signed for them and/or it was part of their contract with the promoter.

Barring that, know and trust the autograph, not a COA, which has no legal standing. Ask for provenance as to where and when the autograph was obtained.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
goswannies
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Tips for buying on eBay?

Post by goswannies »

brandnewfan wrote:I'm looking to buy an Anton Yelchin autograph to add to my Star Trek collection, since he's passed away. eBay seems like my best bet. Does anyone have any advice or tips when buying on eBay to make sure I get a legitimate and real autograph?
Signed cards that were released by the card companies (they have authenticity printed on them) are a pretty good option.

Sometimes sellers will include a picture of the person actually signing (but make sure it's the actual picture as often sellers will offer "photographic evidence" but when you look the signature on the photo isn't on the same position as the photo evidence of the celebrity signing it.

CoA's are mostly worthless.

Be wary of pre-prints

Be wary of fakes

Compare the autograph you plan to buy with genuine examples