Help with letter writing?

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.
Nammzi
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Help with letter writing?

Post by Nammzi »

Hai =)

I was wondering, when writing to a celebrity for charity, it is sometimes good to put in something about their latest moovie or CD etc. But where in the letter should you put that? If I put it at the start it sounds like I've just stuck it in at last minute. Where do you put them?
Here comes the world and she is beautifully mysterious

http://scottishspca.fotopic.net/
sourrgrrapes
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by sourrgrrapes »

Hey there!
I'm pretty new to this, too..
but I read some of the "stickies" above and there are sample letters up there that really helped me.

How do you plan on doing your charity auction? Online or as a local event?
"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center."
-Kurt Vonnegut-
Nammzi
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Nammzi »

I am planning on doing it online, but I'm not 100% sure.
Here comes the world and she is beautifully mysterious

http://scottishspca.fotopic.net/
boofer36
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by boofer36 »

Well, I have been e-mailing people, and I typed a bunch of letters to Judge Judy and stuff and mailed them in regular envelopes to see if they'll send something back. My letter goes something like this, just to give you an idea.

Dear ----------,

Hello! My name is -------------, and I am -age-. I --comment on a movie or something--!

I have recently decided to do a charity auction for ---------------------, and I was wondering if you could donate some signed memorabilia to auction off for my auction. -% of proceeds- OF ALL PROCEEDS MADE WILL GO TO ---------------!

If it wouldn't take too much of your time, could you mail it to:

Your
Address
Here

Thank you SO much!,

-your name here-

____

And just a quick note, don't ever go fan-wild, as I call it, with comments about a voiceover or a movie or music, and act all fangirlyish, because I'm sure they don't like that. Treat them like people. They're people like everyone else. And I'm positive that they don't like to be treated like dirt, either.
Autographs:

Most recent - Don LaFontaine e-mail success! 5 Scripts, 3 Pictures, ALL SIGNED, ONE OF EACH FOR ME! WOOHOO! Go Don!
sourrgrrapes
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by sourrgrrapes »

Do you guys use official letterheads from the charity that you've chosen?
"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center."
-Kurt Vonnegut-
celebrityfan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by celebrityfan »

Hi,

I've been collecting for the Warwickshire Air Ambulance for two years now and I contact the fundraising manager to ask for headed paper as this will include confirmation that you are collecting for the charity and also provides the celebrity with the registered charity number. :mrgreen:

Good luck! {up}
:D Steph :D

Auto count: 185

Gerard Butler = The Next Bond

Visit my site! http://www.freewebs.com/celebrityfanautos

Credit to: hangman
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by TheCollector »

sourrgrrapes wrote:Do you guys use official letterheads from the charity that you've chosen?
Hi sourrgrrapes {up}

Like Steffi said above, it is always best to write on official headed paper if possible, or at least get a letter of confirmation written from your charity that you can xerox and send out with your letters.

Good luck!
Ian :mrgreen: