How to tell if an autograph is live ink or printed

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
Ajax1215
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

How to tell if an autograph is live ink or printed

Post by Ajax1215 »

Hello! Does anybody know how to tell if an autograph is actually signed on the photo or if it is printed on? I have a lens to magnify the ink and I am wondering how to tell the difference with it magnified. Thanks!
goswannies
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: How to tell if an autograph is live ink or printed

Post by goswannies »

Ajax1215 wrote:Hello! Does anybody know how to tell if an autograph is actually signed on the photo or if it is printed on? I have a lens to magnify the ink and I am wondering how to tell the difference with it magnified. Thanks!
Look at the picture on an angle, so that light reflects off it. If it's signed you can still see the signature with the reflected light. If it's printed you can't. Doesn't work as well with matte printed photos. Practice getting your eye in by signing some photos yourself & look.

Sometimes you'll see that the autograph is printed, but the inscription is "real" - a secretary will have done the inscription. In this instance, a Google search will yield identical photos with the autograph in the same spot but personalised inscriptions.