Jerry Lewis success?

Post your feedback about a celebrity address you have tested. Win a $10 Gift Certificate! How? Test an Address and Post your Feedback!
Throwaway
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Jerry Lewis success?

Post by Throwaway »

So a few years back, I came across a framed telegram in an antique store. It appeared to be from Jerry Lewis to Dean Martin and was dated July 6th, 1946 where Jerry was telling Dean that the 500 Club wanted them both to perform on July 24th and 25th. On the back of the frame was a photocopy of a section of an affidavit that claimed the telegram was donated to a charity auction by Dean Martin himself in 1968.

The price was right, but I had no real illusions that it was authentic. The telegram was in mixed case (capital letters and lowercase), which was highly suspect. But the 'telegram' was on what appeared to be authentic Western Union paper and the dates really seemed to fit the story of them first performing together, so it was fun to imagine it was real.

Anyway, long story longer, I finally decided to send a letter along with a picture of the telegram to Mr. Lewis and ask if it was real or not. To make it easy, I made the letter short but nice and included a page with a list of canned responses that could be given (it's real, it might be real, I don't remember, it's definitely fake, etc...). Included a SASE and sent it priority mail. Didn't ask for an autograph, picture, or anything else. Just a big "X" in a box next to the most applicable reply.

A week later, and I got my SASE back with the response page included: http://surfmypictures.com/image/1d68544 ... hs76g.html

I suppose I can never be really sure if the reply I got is real or not, but I'd like to think so based on this page: http://www.autograph-market.com/media/z ... bb296e.jpg

If real, I'm totally cool with Jerry Lewis telling me that the telegram I bought was a fake. I can (very happily) live with that.

If not, it's been a fun process anyway.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Jerry Lewis success?

Post by admin »

Hi Throwaway :)

Thank you for your feedback {up}

Would you have a scan of the envelope you received please?
If so, you are in the run for the $10 gift certificate.

{star} Jerry Lewis on Fanmail.biz | Previous Feedback(s) Received

Fanmail 8)
jason1980s
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Jerry Lewis success?

Post by jason1980s »

Wow, that is pretty amazing.
It definitely isn't a usual secretarial.
It looks pretty close to his actual signature, maybe a little loopier/messier but could be considering his age.
The private signing ones from a few years back seemed to be all over the place, too.
Could be a secretary just wrote and signed it for him trying to imitate his real signature but don't see why they wouldn't just sign the "usual" way of signing and go through the trouble of the note. Could've just put the X in the box.
HEY WRESTLING FANS!

Meet WWWF and NWA wrestling legends Handsome Jimmy the Boogie Woogie Man Valiant, a WWE Hall of Famer

ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!
Get your picture taken with Jimmy!
Enjoy his museum of wrestling memorabilia
Purchase a souvenir t-shirt, dvd or book or have a mask, pair of boots or trunks customized by Jimmy's talented seamstress wife, Angel
Watch his talented BWC students perform in-ring.

Thanks always, for your support Jimmy!
http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/