UK Stamps.

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
SadSunday
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

UK Stamps.

Post by SadSunday »

Hello, as I am not from UK, but I need some UK stamps, I wonder where I could buy them? Royal mail only sells the ones that needs to be posted the following day (and that is very inconvenient when you live in a different country) or stamps sheets that are just worth to if you need just one stamp. Maybe somebody knows any other ways to acquire the UK stamps? Thank you.
Sunday - the day of the week between Saturday and Monday. The only day when you have the right to be sad.
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: UK Stamps.

Post by kimmylee »

Have a look on eBay or Amazon.

You will probably need to buy a book of 6 or 12 1st/ 2nd because I'm not sure anyone online sells just one single stamp.

And being in Europe you will need a minimum of two of those anyway :)

(1st & 2nd are sold commonly, the value specific stamps are not)
NO LONGER ACTIVE
SadSunday
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by SadSunday »

kimmylee wrote:Have a look on eBay or Amazon.

You will probably need to buy a book of 6 or 12 1st/ 2nd because I'm not sure anyone online sells just one single stamp.

And being in Europe you will need a minimum of two of those anyway :)

(1st & 2nd are sold commonly, the value specific stamps are not)
Hi, thank you. I tried the value "scales" on the Internet and it says that I need £1.52 stamp. So, I was looking for that one. I might be wrong. I thought that 1st and 2nd were only for inside the country post. But I might be wrong again. Maybe you can recommended some trusty Ebay sellers? (Via PM).
Sunday - the day of the week between Saturday and Monday. The only day when you have the right to be sad.
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimmylee »

You can use any kind of stamps. As long as the value meets or exceeds the postage cost.

I always recommend 1st/2nd because the value is always the current selling price, even if you bought them for less. Protects your SASE against price rises (in the UK it's usually once a year in April). It's not 100% guaranteed with International mail, but odds are high and much better than fixed value stamps. As the prices nearly always rise.

If your price is £1.52 then at 0.54 (second) & 0.63 (first) you will need three stamps.

I live in the UK so buy mine locally, not online.
NO LONGER ACTIVE
SadSunday
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by SadSunday »

Just to make sure if I am right - one 1st stamp has a value of 0.63 and one 2nd has a value of 0.54?
Like, I can use all four of these (http://shop.royalmail.com/stamp-books/4 ... t/20140788) and be OK with my international SASE?

Thank you! You helped me a lot.
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimmylee »

Yes 1st class are currently worth £0.63 & 2nd class £0.54.

The stamps you linked to are second class large letter worth £0.74, so you'd need 3 of those for a SASE price calculated as £1.52.

Other members here from abroad have had trouble ordering from the Royal Mail website just to warn you.
NO LONGER ACTIVE
SadSunday
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by SadSunday »

Just right now these Royal mail stamps are the cheapest for my cause and seems easiest to acquire :/

Thank you so so so much. It's so hard for a foreigner to understand British stamp system :D
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimmylee »

I'm delighted to help and appreciate your thanks.

Lots of people post here without a please or thank you, and expect others to do all the work for them.

Me, I work on the assumption that if someone can join and post on a forum, they can use a price calculator themselves :)

Always happy to point in the right direction, and help clarify things when it's clear the asker has made efforts themselves already.
NO LONGER ACTIVE
SadSunday
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by SadSunday »

Price calculator is easy, but 1st and 2nd stamp values were a total mystery for me. Nobody writes anywhere how much they are worth (and how much large are worth and if you can use them of international mail). :D That's hard!
Bobbyt45
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Bobbyt45 »

SadSunday wrote:Hello, as I am not from UK, but I need some UK stamps, I wonder where I could buy them? Royal mail only sells the ones that needs to be posted the following day (and that is very inconvenient when you live in a different country) or stamps sheets that are just worth to if you need just one stamp. Maybe somebody knows any other ways to acquire the UK stamps? Thank you.
Please Read
http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic ... 7#p1774377