Dick Van Dyke REAL Success!!!

Moderators' Forum.
WaltG123
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Dick Van Dyke REAL Success!!!

Post by WaltG123 »

fromuk2014 wrote:
caappy wrote:Admin you need to figure this out..
I would hope for this to work but my faith in the Admin is not great, but I'm still willing to help get the forum in to better shape than it is with it's constant spam, members duplicating usernames, lack of moderators who have left (and possibly re-signed up, eerily), it's like a ghost town in the moderation department and the general layout could do with a couple of new sections to keep everyone happy, ie; Personal Address Success' - Maybe even separate sections for music/film/literature discussions.

Just a few small tweaks could make this place quite manageable and you don't have to be qualified in computer technology to be able to make that happen so I don't know why seeing envelopes comes higher on the list when a few tweaks in the Admin Control Panel would help a lot?

Having access to view IP's would almost certainly help prevent whoever is creating multiple accounts to troll.
They can view IPs.

The problem is that they don't care. They didn't care when mods were getting death threats & they don't care now.

The more "registered members", the more money. That's been their attitude for a while. It's why:
1) all IP bans were erased regularly
2) there was never a rule about multiple accounts.

The old mod & admin forums are wide open--you can see what I'm talking about.
WaltG123 != WaltG123. & WaltG123,

There's a difference between blue text & a URL, ****. Those who can't read will be added to my ignore list.

WaltG123 wrote:
WaltG123. wrote:Actually it's just occurred to me. Nobody but her will know why she's signed it twice so please ignore my silly question. :oops:

Awww, how cute. Someone who thinks that people will be dumb enough to believe that they're me, despite the blatant period & completely different post numbers.

And, of course, the obvious fact that if, if it were me, I would've edited the post, not replied to it. Not to mention it's not necessarily true that "nobody but her will know why she signed it twice" & I'm smart enough to know that.

Not to mention the grammatical mistakes.

But, please, carry on. You can help me find more people to add to my ignore list. I don't need to be bothered reading posts by users that are stupid enough to believe that these 2 accounts are the same. I appreciate the help in weeding out the ****. So thank you. :D
fromuk2014
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by fromuk2014 »

WaltG123 wrote:
fromuk2014 wrote:
caappy wrote:Admin you need to figure this out..
I would hope for this to work but my faith in the Admin is not great, but I'm still willing to help get the forum in to better shape than it is with it's constant spam, members duplicating usernames, lack of moderators who have left (and possibly re-signed up, eerily), it's like a ghost town in the moderation department and the general layout could do with a couple of new sections to keep everyone happy, ie; Personal Address Success' - Maybe even separate sections for music/film/literature discussions.

Just a few small tweaks could make this place quite manageable and you don't have to be qualified in computer technology to be able to make that happen so I don't know why seeing envelopes comes higher on the list when a few tweaks in the Admin Control Panel would help a lot?

Having access to view IP's would almost certainly help prevent whoever is creating multiple accounts to troll.
They can view IPs.

The problem is that they don't care. They didn't care when mods were getting death threats & they don't care now.

The more "registered members", the more money. That's been their attitude for a while. It's why:

Certainly, I've taken a moment to view some threads here and there but regardless, things need tending to one way or another, it's in the past.

All it takes is for the Admin to give the permissions to somebody who gives a damn and let them look after that side of things if they don't want to, and towards having more members increasing some kind of monetary value, that's highly doubtful coming from somebody who has run more than one successful forum, it's not like the forum is supported by advertising so I would guess that it's being paid for another way and I thought phpBB was free and open source.

Am I under the assumption you've been a member previously, because it certainly sounds like you're possibly a disgruntled member from possibly when moderators existed and then dissipated, which would explain why you seem frustrated with most, if not all posters here, knowing nothing will happen.
WaltG123,
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by WaltG123, »

It has been brought to my attention that there is someone impersonating me on this forum. This WaltG123 character needs to knock it off. It's not funny.

There's a difference between blue text & a URL, ****. Those who can't read will be added to my ignore list.
WaltG123
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by WaltG123 »

fromuk2014 wrote:
WaltG123 wrote:
fromuk2014 wrote:

They can view IPs.

Certainly, I've taken a moment to view some threads here and there but regardless, things need tending to one way or another, it's in the past.

All it takes is for the Admin to give the permissions to somebody who gives a **** and let them look after that side of things if they don't want to, and towards having more members increasing some kind of monetary value, that's highly doubtful coming from somebody who has run more than one successful forum, it's not like the forum is supported by advertising so I would guess that it's being paid for another way and I thought phpBB was free and open source.

Am I under the assumption you've been a member previously, because it certainly sounds like you're possibly a disgruntled member from possibly when moderators existed and then dissipated, which would explain why you seem frustrated with most, if not all posters here, knowing nothing will happen.

I'm not disgruntled per se. My old account wasn't banned or anything. I just opted to quit using it.

I worked with a lot of the mods back in the day (like many members, I was one). They were good.

What happened was admin took their power away (leaving them mods in title only), so they either left due to their feeling unappreciated or were banned for speaking against the allmighty. They didn't just get bored & quit. So the situation you describe where admin gives more power to someone else isn't likely to happen. He had just that and purposely got rid of it.

I'm not happy with how admin let their work, and this site in general, go to hell & how he quit caring. You can find posts where he told mods that, rather than IP bans, they should just add people who send them harassing PMs to their ignore list.
WaltG123, wrote:It has been brought to my attention that there is someone impersonating me on this forum. This WaltG123 character needs to knock it off. It's not funny.
Join dates are public, dumbass.

WaltG123 wrote:
WaltG123. wrote:Actually it's just occurred to me. Nobody but her will know why she's signed it twice so please ignore my silly question. :oops:

Awww, how cute. Someone who thinks that people will be dumb enough to believe that they're me, despite the blatant period & completely different post numbers.

And, of course, the obvious fact that if, if it were me, I would've edited the post, not replied to it. Not to mention it's not necessarily true that "nobody but her will know why she signed it twice" & I'm smart enough to know that.

But, please, carry on. You can help me find more people to add to my ignore list. I don't need to be bothered reading posts by users that are stupid enough to believe that these 2 accounts are the same. I appreciate the help in weeding out the ****. So thank you. :D
fromuk2014
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by fromuk2014 »

Well that explains some of the issues.

I have to wonder, did somebody abuse said permissions, unless Admin was having an extremely bad day?

I don't know why it would have been so great and then all of a sudden, not so great.
cjhanson
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by cjhanson »

Even though the original posting is a hoax, that is still a secretarial signature.
jason1980s
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jason1980s »

If I were the real Walt, I'd be more angry that someone was stating I thought Van Dyke was real as opposed to using a fake account with my name.
HEY WRESTLING FANS!

Meet WWWF and NWA wrestling legends Handsome Jimmy the Boogie Woogie Man Valiant, a WWE Hall of Famer

ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!
Get your picture taken with Jimmy!
Enjoy his museum of wrestling memorabilia
Purchase a souvenir t-shirt, dvd or book or have a mask, pair of boots or trunks customized by Jimmy's talented seamstress wife, Angel
Watch his talented BWC students perform in-ring.

Thanks always, for your support Jimmy!
http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/
kingstarsports
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by kingstarsports »

Walt,

Congrats on your success, but I have to say that your posts on this site in general give me the impression that you have some issues to deal with. I get the impression that you like to argue with people just to pass your time and the moment you feel you are losing control of the argument, you turn to bullying and tantrums.

And by the way, when you tell people that you aren't going to tolerate their opinions on the authenticity of your success, you are only inviting people to do so. And if you do not want people's opinions, than why post it at all?

Walt you need a chill pill buddy... Maybe even a daily dose
My collection is large and mainly focused on Sports

Just a Few of My Most Recent Successes: Jaromir Jagr (Hockey Player), Sidney Crosby (Hockey Player), Wade Boggs (Retired N.Y. Yankees), Greg Maddux (Retired Baseball Pitcher), Jimmy Key (Retired Baseball Pitcher), Chad Pennington (Retired Football QB), Niles Paul (Wash. Redskins WR), Andy Benes (Retired Baseball Player), Danny Tartabull (Retired N.Y. Yankee), Sterling Sharpe (Retired Green Bay Packers), Jeff George (Retired NFL), Derek Redmond (Olympic Runner)

Autographs Currently Waiting On: Geno Smith (N.Y. Jets), Marshall Faulk (Retired St. Louis Rams), Charles Mann (Retired Wash. Redskins), B.J. Surhoff (Retired Balt. Orioles), Kathryn Thornton (Astronaut)

Fanmail.biz ROCKS! Thanks so much to everyone who contributes to this database! Except for the "HATERS"!
WaltG123
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by WaltG123 »

kingstarsports wrote:Walt,

Congrats on your success, but I have to say that your posts on this site in general give me the impression that you have some issues to deal with. I get the impression that you like to argue with people just to pass your time and the moment you feel you are losing control of the argument, you turn to bullying and tantrums.

And by the way, when you tell people that you aren't going to tolerate their opinions on the authenticity of your success, you are only inviting people to do so. And if you do not want people's opinions, than why post it at all?

Walt you need a chill pill buddy... Maybe even a daily dose
Yippee, another poster taking me up on my signature! Thanks so much for posting!
jason1980s wrote:If I were the real Walt, I'd be more angry that someone was stating I thought Van Dyke was real as opposed to using a fake account with my name.
:lol:

We've PM'ed. You know me.

Honestly, I don't care too much at all about this fool. Join dates are public, post numbers are public, my signature is very clear--if any morons take this guy for me, they have issues in the head.

Not to mention that it's completely anonymous. They aren't actually besmirching me, as nobody knows who I actually am... There's no point caring about something so utterly meaningless. So I don't.
fromuk2014 wrote:Well that explains some of the issues.

I have to wonder, did somebody abuse said permissions, unless Admin was having an extremely bad day?

I don't know why it would have been so great and then all of a sudden, not so great.
The mod & admin forums are quite enlightening in this regard.

Those forums used to be completely hidden & closed off to the general public. If you weren't of a level where you could access them, you couldn't even see them. If you somehow got hold of a direct link to them or a post within, you'd see a message that said "You don't have the necessary permissions to perform this action". But after one of many forum crashes, that changed & admin never changed it back.

admin wasn't happy with the way they undermined him or constantly used IP bans due to the ease of idiots like this (or worse) creating new accounts.

This site has no captcha & no email verification. There's also, as stated before, no rule against multiple accounts, despite there being almost no good reason for them.

The mods warned admin that the site would implode in upon itself & admin literally laughed it off.

TheCollector (the other administrator, who left under the same circumstances as the mods) put it best in a farewell post:

Subject: Thanks guys - but I have done all I can do.
TheCollector wrote:I, like many of you have my own career (or schooling), and I get on here as and when I can. I have raised your comments and concerns to Admin now more times than I can explain, and for the most part I have been overruled. I just don't get understood - like I am speaking a different language - or at least that is how it appears at present.
ETA: To even add to this, which even goes more toward answering your question about how things got so bad so fast, once the mods with power were gone, admin quit certain basic upkeep aspects.

Feedback used to have a "No Bumping after 3 months of the OP rule" (to coincide with the AllPosters giveaway "FB most be received within 3 months" rule)--that way, people didn't have to worry about looking at post dates. In keeping with that rule, FB threads were locked after 3 months. The Mod Toolbar even had the power to sort threads per forum by OP date & lock them en masse. Now, not only is that not done, but it's not even rare to see a thread resurrected after 1-2 years, let alone 3 months.

Request a Celebrity Address used to have a "3 per day limit" & a "We aren't doing your work for you, so the requested address better not be in the database" rule. If you violated either, your post was either locked or deleted with the only response being "3 requests per day only" or "Check the database". That admin spoonfeeds everyone & the posters can't even be bothered finding their own addresses, despite being the ones looking to write, is probably my biggest annoyance here. There's a poster who made multiple threads about what Gene Wilder's CT address is & whether he responds from it, despite both being widely answered all over if they even tried to put in a little work. And, for some reason, nobody else seems to see this as a problem.

Spam reports are also widely ignored now (there are some in the IP forum that I reported over a year ago that are still there), and admin has a habit now of moving a lot of it to General Discussion. Although, to be honest, that's not a new habit of his--it's just that there are no mods to clean up after him anymore.

So, to answer your question the easiest way possible, admin got worse at the job to a certain extent over the years, but, the biggest change between then & now (and the reason things went downhill so fast) is that before, there were teams of people cleaning up after him. Like Ian (TheCollector) said in his farewell post, he purposely stopped cleaning up after admin for a bit to try to show him how bad things could be. Now that Ian is gone for good, just like everyone else, the site falls to admin & admin alone--but, make no mistake, that was his choice.

WaltG123 wrote:

fromuk2014
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by fromuk2014 »

Well, that is a shame, but I still think this place could rise from the ashes and become better maintained once again, there's not really a reason why everyone can't start over and make it a better place and so I'm still hopeful, even if its empty hope.

Admin, why not share the strain and let somebody else help around here, members might begin to stick around more often.