R.I.P - Stars We Have Lost - R.I.P

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)
starreyes

Post by starreyes »

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Richard Stahl, an actor whose more than 40-year career stretched from New York theater to film and television comedies such as "Laverne and Shirley," has died. He was 74.

Stahl died Sunday at the Motion Picture and Television Fund's health center in Woodland Hills after a 10-year battle with Parkinson's disease, his wife, actress Kathryn Ish, said Wednesday.

"He had been declining for some time now," she said.

Born in Detroit, Stahl did magic tricks as a boy and moved to California as a performer at age 15, Ish said. He served in the Army during the Korean War, later graduating from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York.

Ish and Stahl were both off Broadway theater actors when they met in 1959. They married later that year.

In the 1960s, the pair moved to San Francisco and joined improv comedy group The Committee, Ish said. They settled in Santa Barbara in 1975.

Stahl's film credits include 1979's "Five Easy Pieces," Mel Brooks' 1977 spoof "High Anxiety," 1980's "9 to 5" and 1996's "Ghosts of Mississippi."

He appeared on such TV shows as "Laverne and Shirley,""The Odd Couple," and "Barney Miller," and held a regular stint on 1980s sitcom "It's A Living."

"He was a funny guy, he worked in comedy all his life," Ish said.

Stahl is survived by Ish, their daughter Allegra and son Oliver.
Mighty_Modders
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Mighty_Modders »

Ronnie Barker

Ronnie on left, Richard Beckinsale (1947-1979) on right.

It was a while back now, but the great man deserves a mention:

TV comedy actor Ronnie Barker, who starred in Porridge and The Two Ronnies, has died aged 76.
One of the most loved and respected comedy performers of his generation, he was best known as one half of a double act with Ronnie Corbett.

But he also proved himself as an outstanding sitcom actor and script writer, winning four Bafta TV awards.

Corbett led the tributes saying: "Ronnie was pure gold in triplicate - as a performer, a writer and a friend."

He went on: "We worked together since 1965 and we never had a cross word.

"It was 40 years of harmonious joy, nothing but an absolute pleasure. I will miss him terribly."

David Jason, Barker's co-star for many years in Open All Hours, said: "He was a very dear friend and someone for whom I had the greatest respect.
"Working with Ronnie was always a joy and were without doubt some of the best years of my career. The world of entertainment has lost a huge talent."

Barker's agent said the actor died peacefully on Monday with his wife Joy by his side, after a long period of heart trouble.

John Cleese, who began his career with Barker on The Frost Report, said he was a "warm, friendly and encouraging presence" and "a great comic actor to learn from".

Cleese's Monty Python colleague Michael Palin said: "I can't think of anyone who knew how to play comedy better than Ronnie Barker and I count myself enormously fortunate to have known and worked with him."

Veteran comedian Eric Sykes said: "It's a very sad day. I've always admired him. Everything he did had a very evocative ring, of something great."

Former Conservative prime minister John Major added: "Ronnie Barker will forever be remembered as one of the great comic actors."

Last year Barker was awarded a lifetime achievement Bafta for his TV work.

Barker starred in two of the most popular sitcoms in BBC history - Porridge and Open All Hours, creating two classic characters, the laconic inmate Fletcher and the stuttering shopkeeper Arkwright.

At the peak of his career Barker, along with Corbett, entertained 17 million people every Saturday night with The Two Ronnies, which ran for 15 years delivering comic sketches, funny songs and old-fashioned tall tales.

Michael Hurll, producer of The Two Ronnies, said: "We will never see his like again."

The BBC head of comedy Jon Plowman said Barker was "just a genius".

Barker leaves his wife and three children, actress Charlotte Barker, the actor Adam Barker and Larry Barker.
Chrissy

Post by Chrissy »

Aaron Spelling

TV mogul Aaron Spelling, whose unparalleled string of hits ran from The Mod Squad in the '60s to today's 7th Heaven, died in his mansion near Beverly Hills on Friday. He was 83.

In his long career, Spelling produced some 200 shows, including Starsky and Hutch, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat, Vegas, Hart to Hart, Dynasty, T.J. Hooker, Fantasy Island, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place and Charmed.

RIP Aaron Spelling, You will be missed

Chrissy :(
Thank you -Lil1- for the siggie set!
starreyes

Post by starreyes »

The scrappy dog known as Eddie on TV's "Frasier" has died. The 16-year-old Jack Russell terrier, whose real name was Moose, passed away of old age Thursday at the Los Angeles home of trainer Mathilde Halberg, Halberg told People magazine.

The canine character Eddie drove Kelsey Grammer's lead character crazy for 10 years on the show.

It wasn't all acting on Moose's part, though. He was naturally "extremely mischievous," Halberg said.

His contribution to the show's and Grammer's success was publicly noted by the actor when he accepted a 1994 Emmy for best actor in a comedy.

"Most important, Moose, this is for you," Grammer added good naturedly.

Moose, who also played the older dog Skip in the 2000 film "My Dog Skip," was retired in recent years
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by TheCollector »

Thanks for your post starreyes :)

Who said this section was only for humans? :P

Seriously, I loved the sitcom Frasier. They are re-running it daily back from ep.1 in the UK (Channel 4) at the moment (back when Kelsey Grammer had hair - of sorts!)

Sad news to hear that Moose had died, but he had a good innings (as we say in the UK!!) and lived to the ripe old age of 16 (112 in human years!!!!)

Story:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5124104.stm

Ian :mrgreen:
spannna
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by spannna »

paul gleason passed this year too may 27th i think it was .....he played the principle in the breakfast club.
im really going to show my age here and say he was also in dragnet,revenge of the nerds,dallas and magnum P.I..
Latest success: Susan Sarandon vv
Latest RTS: Christopher lloyd
In Person: michael dorman, abbie cornish, joel edgerton, sam worthington, sigrid thornton (pics to come when photobucket comes back online)
Markd
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Kasey Rogers

Post by Markd »

Regret to inform you actress Kasey Rogers passed away yesterday. She was best known for her role on Bewitched as Louise Tate from 1966 to 1972. RIP

spannna
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by spannna »

oh what a shame.
Latest success: Susan Sarandon vv
Latest RTS: Christopher lloyd
In Person: michael dorman, abbie cornish, joel edgerton, sam worthington, sigrid thornton (pics to come when photobucket comes back online)
Markd
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

June Allyson

Post by Markd »

Unfortunately actress, June Allyson passed away on saturday.
She will be missed.

Markd
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Markd »

Syd Barrett one of the founding members of Pink Floyd has died at age 60.
RIP