New To This....Help Please

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
purplemonkeyfever
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

New To This....Help Please

Post by purplemonkeyfever »

Hi!! I am new to this but am really interested in getting autographs from some of mine and my childrens favorite famous people. What is the best way to approach them? Like in emailing them...What do you use as your Subject? When you write to them...is it best to send a SASE and can you ask for a signed photo instead of a printed one or is that rude?
Help Please!!
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

I've never really used email myself, other than studio fanmail, as it seems slightly impersonal. It kinda feels like someone else might read it or it might not be getting to the right place etc etc.

I've had quite a lot of success through letters though. The best thing to do is to just say why you like them, or what films/books/shows you liked that they did. Then at the end politely ask if they might be able to send you an autograph, and that you've included a stamped addressed envelope. I usually enclose a blank postcard as well, incase they don't have a photo cos' its better that than nothing.

Then you just have to wait really. When I first started, my first success came back in a week and I thought that they'd all be like that. It cantakes monthsthough, so you have tobe patient {up}
Mimmi
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by Mimmi »

My advise is to be polite and don't make the letter to long.
Put into the letter things that you might want to hear from fans.
On several occasions when I have tried to get autographs for my siblings I will include their favorite line from the movie, etc. Just a sentence or two about the person who will be getting the autograph.
That may not be the greatest idea, but that's how I generally write my letters.
Happy collecting :D

Best Wishes,
Mimmi
suelynns
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by suelynns »

I collected ttm when I was a kid and am just getting back into it again. How much postage do you all usually put on your large envelopes with a sase and a photo. I hate going to the post office to check...it's always so crazy...so an estimate would be great.
Thanks!
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

The amount of postage you need depends on which country you live in.

I'm in the UK, and have never had a problem just putting one 1st/2nd class stamp on an envelope with a letter, S.A.E., and blank postcard in (I use A5 envelopes). I think one stamp will cover 60g, with the 10p extra on a first class stamp supposedly getting it there faster.

If you live anywhere other than the UK, I can't really help though. Try the postal service website of where you're from and that should have the info you need.
suelynns
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by suelynns »

Barmy..I'm in the U.S., but thanks for the input!
gm51
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gm51 »

DO you tink is better writing the letter in block letters or in cursive? I think the second choise would be more....personal, but may be the "star" will get bored to interpret the handwriting!!

Ps.I don't know if what I've just written is grammatically correct!! :roll: :roll:

Post by Guest »

suelynns,
About amouts of postage:
I have not asked anyone at the post office but here is what I would suggest.

6 by 9 - 60 cents
9 by 12 - 60 cents to 1 dollar.

If you include a piece of card board with your picture you will need extra postage. I sent out several 6 by 9's and 60 cent postage was the largest stamp we had at our house other then 37 cents so they may not need that much.

If you send letters to the United Kingdom be sure to double your postage both on the envelope you send your letter in and on your SASE. I have had several letters returned to me becuase I didn't have enought postage on the envelope.

Well I hope that all made since. :D

Best Wishes,
Mimmi

gm51,
I would say to write a letter which-ever way you think is your best handwritting. I'm pretty sure that the last thing a star wants to have to read is a sloppy letter. :)

Best Wishes, Mimmi
purplemonkeyfever
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by purplemonkeyfever »

Where do you get the pictures that you send to be autographed?
suelynns
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by suelynns »

You can find them on the internet with a bit of searching, and download and print them.This is a good site for 8x10 print outs, but you do have to donate money or pictures to have access to it. http://www.photos.keithjakubowski.net/ Also magazine covers and pics out of magazines are good.
GO PACERS!!!!