WEIRD autograph experience - Billy Hamilton (Reds)

Post your recent In Person successes and celebrity encounter photos here.
davidm8985@gmail.com
$10 gift certificate winner

WEIRD autograph experience - Billy Hamilton (Reds)

Post by davidm8985@gmail.com »

Last night I visited Indianapolis to see a Triple A baseball game. My goal was to get an autograph of Billy Hamilton who is currently on the Louisville Bats and were in town playing the Indianapolis Indians. Hamilton is the #1 ranked prospect in the Cincinnati Reds system and is in the top 20 on the MLB.com list. This turned out to be an interesting experience...

I waited outside the players exit for the visiting team and had two baseballs ready for Hamilton to sign. A few guys came out and headed up the hill toward the sidewalk. The visiting team stays at the Marriot which is directly across the street from Victory Field. I saw two guys come out a few minutes behind them and one of them looked like he may be Billy Hamilton. I started walking toward them and they were walking the other way toward the sidewalk. They were walking kind of fast and seemed to ignore the fans waiting for autographs. I started walking up the hill also and asked one of the fans, "is that Hamilton?" and he said "yeah I think so". He yelled about 20 feet behind him "HEY BILLY..." and got no response. He said "I think he blew us off" and started walking back down the hill toward the stadium.

I decided to find out if it was him or not so I began jogging and eventually caught up with him. He had a pair of headphones on and I walked right next to him and said "Billy?". He took his headphones off and looked at me with a confused look and said "who?". I then said, "Billy Hamilton?" and held a ball and a pen out. He then said "Oh that's not me. I think he's still inside" and pointed back toward the stadium. I looked at him for about 5 or 6 seconds and was pretty sure it was him. I then just said "ok man, thanks.." and began walking back. He then started laughing and yelled back at me "Ok man, I'll get you". I said "really? you are Hamilton?" He then responded "I will sign for you but if anyone asks then you don't know what I look like". I said "Ok man, no problem". He signed an official MLB ball on the sweet spot and an official International League ball on a side panel.

For those of you who pursue prospects, just a warning that Hamilton can be tricky. When I went back toward the stadium there were about 20 people who were waiting for Hamilton and they said "Was that Hamilton?". I showed them the two baseballs and they all kind of shrugged in disappointment. One of the guys asked me if he played the "I'm not Billy Hamilton" card on me and I said yes. He then said that Hamilton does that a lot to get out of signing. I was the only person out of 20-30 people who successfully got Hamilton to sign and I put myself at risk of looking like an idiot to him but I guess that's what it takes sometimes. He seems like if you can prove that you know it's him and there's not many people around then he will sign for you. He could have allowed me to just walk back to the stadium and not signed but he was nice enough to reveal himself because I had went out of my way and knew it was him. This will definitely be something I remember because I feel like I got lucky on this one... Thanks Billy!

Davidm8985
TTM Success:
Jim Bunning, Jim Thome, Billy Williams, Ryne Sandberg, Juan Pierre, Ricky Nolasco, Brian McRae, Craig Counsell, A.J. Pierzynski, Dylan Axelrod, Scott Feldman, Jed Lowrie, Carlos Carrasco, Justin Masterson, Tommy Layne, Jordan Norberto, Ryne Sandberg, AJ Pollock, Taijuan Walker, AJ Pollock, Gordon Beckham, Jim Henderson, Matt Guerrier, Glen Perkins, Ryan Pressly, Casey Fein, Caleb Thielbar, Ryan Cook

IN PERSON success:
Torii Hunter, Joaquin Benoit, Phil Coke, Evan Reed, Luke Petkonen, Gerrit Cole, Byron Buxton, Archie Bardley, Mark Appel, Carlos Correa, Tyler Skaggs, Billy Hamilton, Tony Campana, Albert Almora, Robert Stephenson, Taylor Guerrieri, Lance McCullers, Nick Travieso

18 MLB Ballparks Visited:
CHC, CWS, MIL, DET, STL(2), HOU, BOS, NYY, NYM, PHI, PIT, BAL, WAS, CLE, CIN, MIN, KC
ncarrier08
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: WEIRD autograph experience - Billy Hamilton (Reds)

Post by ncarrier08 »

Billy will tell you it is not him, but even if you are clueless and have no idea what he looks like when he talks you should know...
patsgetgronked87
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by patsgetgronked87 »

During ST this last year he was SUPER nice he was signing for a good 30+ minutes. I got him on two MLB balls both onthe sweetspot.
Favorite teams.
Arizona Diamondbacks
New England Patriots
Arizona Rattlers
Boston Celtics
Boston Bruins
Arizona Wildcats
MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

So let me get this straight:

He agrees to sign for you on the condition that if anyone asks, you don't know what he looks like, you agree, he signs for you, and you walk back to a group of 20 or 30 people and break your end of the agreement?
davidm8985@gmail.com

MW1221 wrote:So let me get this straight:

He agrees to sign for you on the condition that if anyone asks, you don't know what he looks like, you agree, he signs for you, and you walk back to a group of 20 or 30 people and break your end of the agreement?
I never told anyone what he looked like or what he was wearing and nobody asked. I had to walk back through that area because my car was parked in the lot on the other side. The guy that knew I was pursuing Hamilton saw that I was holding signed baseballs and asked if I got Hamilton. What am I supposed to do? say no?

No, I did not break the agreement... which was that I didn't know (meaning tell) anyone which guy he was...
Davidm8985
TTM Success:
Jim Bunning, Jim Thome, Billy Williams, Ryne Sandberg, Juan Pierre, Ricky Nolasco, Brian McRae, Craig Counsell, A.J. Pierzynski, Dylan Axelrod, Scott Feldman, Jed Lowrie, Carlos Carrasco, Justin Masterson, Tommy Layne, Jordan Norberto, Ryne Sandberg, AJ Pollock, Taijuan Walker, AJ Pollock, Gordon Beckham, Jim Henderson, Matt Guerrier, Glen Perkins, Ryan Pressly, Casey Fein, Caleb Thielbar, Ryan Cook

IN PERSON success:
Torii Hunter, Joaquin Benoit, Phil Coke, Evan Reed, Luke Petkonen, Gerrit Cole, Byron Buxton, Archie Bardley, Mark Appel, Carlos Correa, Tyler Skaggs, Billy Hamilton, Tony Campana, Albert Almora, Robert Stephenson, Taylor Guerrieri, Lance McCullers, Nick Travieso

CHC, CWS, MIL, DET, STL(2), HOU, BOS, NYY, NYM, PHI, PIT, BAL, WAS, CLE, CIN, MIN, KC
MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

davidm8985@gmail.com wrote:

I never told anyone what he looked like or what he was wearing and nobody asked. I had to walk back through that area because my car was parked in the lot on the other side. The guy that knew I was pursuing Hamilton saw that I was holding signed baseballs and asked if I got Hamilton. What am I supposed to do? say no?

No, I did not break the agreement... which was that I didn't know (meaning tell) anyone which guy he was...
davidm8985@gmail.com wrote: When I went back toward the stadium there were about 20 people who were waiting for Hamilton and they said "Was that Hamilton?". I showed them the two baseballs (emphasis mine) and they all kind of shrugged in disappointment.

Ok, I must be missing something, because those two statements comtradict each other from my POV.

They asked if that guy they saw was Hamilton, so clearly they did ask IF THAT WAS HIM. Not if you got him. If that was him they saw. They didn't need to ask what he looked like or what he was wearing because they saw him! They asked if that was him. Answering that (which you did by showing them your autographs, indicates that you know what he looks like, which you clearly agreed to not do.

So please explain how that isn't accurate when they're your own words.

Him: Don't tell anyone that it was me.
You: Ok.
Crowd: "Was that Hamilton?"
You: *shows baseballs, thus indicating that it was*
davidm8985@gmail.com

MW1221 wrote:

davidm8985@gmail.com wrote: When I went back toward the stadium there were about 20 people who were waiting for Hamilton and they said "Was that Hamilton?". I showed them the two baseballs (emphasis mine) and they all kind of shrugged in disappointment.
Ok, I must be missing something, because those two statements comtradict each other from my POV.

They asked if that guy they saw was Hamilton, so clearly they did ask IF THAT WAS HIM. Not if you got him. If that was him they saw. They didn't need to ask what he looked like or what he was wearing because they saw him! They asked if that was him. Answering that (which you did by showing them your autographs, indicates that you know what he looks like, which you clearly agreed to not do.

So please explain how that isn't accurate when they're your own words.

Him: Don't tell anyone that it was me.
You: Ok.
Crowd: "Was that Hamilton?"
You: *shows baseballs, thus indicating that it was*

Yes.. they knew that I knew it was him.. but not a single person asked what he looked like or what he was wearing. My point of view differs from yours. The point that Billy was making is that he didn't want anyone else coming after him BECAUSE he signed for me... and that was never broken. By the time I got back to the stadium Billy would have already been 4-5 blocks away.

Of course I can't deny that I knew what he looked like, obviously, but I never gave away any info other than I got him. That's it. I didn't coming running back saying "that was hamilton, I got him" but I'm not going to deny that I got him when I am holding signed baseballs.

Anything else you want to pick at?
Davidm8985
TTM Success:

IN PERSON success:

MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

I must be missing something again. Where did he say "Don't tell anyone because I don't want them chasing me" or "Don't tell anyone except that crowd)?"

He said "Don't tell ANYONE."

So please... How can you say that you held up your end of the agreement in the same breath where you admit to validating the suspicions of 20 or so people as to his identity? And you justify it by saying he was blocks away and you never actually said the words "it was him"?

It's not for you to rule on whether or not you broke your end because you didn't violate it in any way that goes against his true intentions when he never vocalized them.

Heck, even posting this story HERE is violating that agreement.

Yes, his wording was broad and vague. But you agreed to it & he signed for you on that sole condition.

Things like this are the reason that trust is vanishing between collectors and celebrities and autograph collecting is becoming a business over a hobby.
davidm8985@gmail.com

MW1221 wrote:I must be missing something again. Where did he say "Don't tell anyone because I don't want them chasing me" or "Don't tell anyone except that crowd)?"

So please... How can you say that you held up your end of the agreement in the same breath where you admit to validating the suspicions of 20 or so people as to his identity? And you justify it by saying he was blocks away and you never actually said the words "it was him"?

It's not for you to rule on whether or not you broke your end because you didn't violate it in any way that goes against his true intentions when he never vocalized them.

Yes, his wording was broad and vague. But you agreed to it & he signed for you on that sole condition.

Things like this are the reason that trust is vanishing between collectors and celebrities and autograph collecting is becoming a business over a hobby.

First off, he did not say "Don't tell anyone". You are twisting the story to make an argument. He said that I didn't know what he looked like. That is completely different. If you are going to be over analytical in dissecting every detail then at least have it straight. He never asked me to deny getting his autograph, he just didn't want me to point him out for other people. Anyways...

I have a question for you...

I am walking back to my car and go back through the same route where there are people. I am holding two signed baseballs. They know that Hamilton was the only guy I was going for... let me ask you this question, and it's an honest question... when they asked if I got him, what was I supposed to do? say no?

Are you saying that I should have denied getting his autograph when they can see with their own eyes that I am holding signed baseballs and they knew I was only there for ONE guy?

Please answer because your logic seems unrealistic in my opinion. What should I have done in your opinion?
Davidm8985
TTM Success:

IN PERSON success:

MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

MW1221 wrote:I must be missing something again. Where did he say "Don't tell anyone because I don't want them chasing me" or "Don't tell anyone except that crowd)?"

First off, he did not say "Don't tell anyone". You are twisting the story to make an argument. He said that I didn't know what he looked like. That is completely different. If you are going to be over analytical in dissecting every detail then at least have it straight. He never asked me to deny getting his autograph, he just didn't want me to point him out for other people. Anyways...

I have a question for you...

I am walking back to my car and go back through the same route where there are people. I am holding two signed baseballs. They know that Hamilton was the only guy I was going for... let me ask you this question, and it's an honest question... when they asked if I got him, what was I supposed to do? say no?

Are you saying that I should have denied getting his autograph when they can see with their own eyes that I am holding signed baseballs and they knew I was only there for ONE guy?

Please answer because your logic seems unrealistic in my opinion. What should I have done in your opinion?

They both mean the same thing in this context.

And yes, you say "no". Or you keep walking.

Your loyalty should lie with the player who did you a favor, not a crowd of people you'll never see again.