glossy sportscard autographing tip

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
thetraitor7
$10 gift certificate winner

glossy sportscard autographing tip

Post by thetraitor7 »

For the longest time I had a load of trouble getting signatures to show up good on extra glossy cards. Especially the new ones, which have alot of coating on them, they tend to "bleed" the ink and really look horrible.

I searched around for some kind of solution to "prepare" cards for signing. I really couldn't find a real cure-all, so I stumbled upon something.

I got a small chunk of styrofoam (from my Xbox packaging) and proceeded to rub the face of a card with it to see what would happen. Just like magic, the card (which I sacrificed for my experiment) signed, via Sharpie, like a dream.

Seems some cards require more "rubbing" than others. Cards from Upper Deck are the most stubborn, especially thier "Victory" cards. But with enough preparation with your styrofoam piece you should be able to make any glossy card very signable. Some cards you can actually SEE the coating rubbing off. However, from my experience, no noticable wear or damage appears on a card after it has been rubbed down. Even the "Chrome" cards end up great after the application of the aformentioned "chunk".

For a visual example, check out the photo's below.

The first card picture I had signed at a Mariners game. I had just bought the team set of cards at the stadium, so I didn't have time to prepare it. So, as you can see, the autograph didn't come out as good as I was hoping.

The next game I attended, I had the cards prepared this time. Now the autograph came out great.

I hope I have helped someone.

Happy autographing!
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Great tip thetraitor7 {up}

Also the results will be much better if a "permanent" marker is used (spirit based).

Washable or water-based pens bleed horribly on shiny surfaces :wink:

Ian :mrgreen:
GBiffle16racegrl
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Thanks for the tip!

Post by GBiffle16racegrl »

Thanks for the tip all this time I've been wearing out my hand trying to rub the cards!
****Chrissy**** GBiffle16racegrl