I'm new to collecting autographs... Advice please?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
Spongebobfan88
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

I'm new to collecting autographs... Advice please?

Post by Spongebobfan88 »

I would have posted this in the correct forum but no one was in it so I apologize if I am taking up space on the page that something you would like to read about could be.

Hello, I am new to the collecting of autographs and have a few questions...

-I see people using "Text Talk" For example "IP" Can someone explain that to me?
-How should I go about requesting autographs?
-Where do people get the pictures they send in to get autographed? (Are they sold in stores?)

-Any Other tips would be GREATLY appreciated, I would collect the autographs and keep them for myself because I could not imagine parting with something I worked so hard for.
Maverick96
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: I'm new to collecting autographs... Advice please?

Post by Maverick96 »

Welcome Spongebobfan88,

To answer your questions:

1. Here's a rundown of text talk:

IP=In Person
TTM=Through the Mail
PP=Preprinted autographs
AP=Autopen
SEC=Secretary

2. Everyone is different yet most follow this procedure:

a. Print photo you would like signed
b. Look up address on fanmail database.
c. Either hand write or type a letter. I usually just say a few kind words and request an autograph in the letter.
d. Send a self-addressed, self stamped envelope along with your photo so that the celeb can return your pic. I usually send the photo and letter attached to a 9 in. x 11.5 in. photo mailer envelope-all inside a 10 in. x 13 in clasp envelope.

3. I usually print my photos from online. I use google, choose images, and select "large" images in the filters.

Hope this helps!
2012 TTM Successes: Angus Scrimm, Michael C. Hall, Terry O'Quinn, Betsy Palmer, Steven Yeun, Christopher Lambert, Kate Beckinsale, Kevin Spacey, Chris Durand (H20), Alan Rickman, Laura Vandervoort, John Landis, George P. Wilbur (Halloween 4/6), Noel Neill, Hugh Jackman (AP), Dick Warlock (Halloween 2), Mark Wahlberg, Henry Winkler

2012 IP Successes: Linda Hamilton, Monica Keena, Kristanna Loken, Alex Vincent, Vivica A. Fox, Madeline Lintz

2012 Purchased: Brandon Routh

Waiting for: Hugh Jackman, Jackie Earle Haley, Brandon Routh, Terence Stamp, Nick Castle, Mythbusters, Tom Welling, Lance Henriksen, David Naughton

Addresses needed: Lance Henriksen, Bruce Boxleitner, Jamie Lee Curtis, Reggie Bannister, Michael Baldwin, Kevin Connors, Don Coscarelli

Sent Recently: Paul Rudd, James LeGros, Jon Gries, Kathy Ireland, Ellie Cornell, David Tennant, Helen Slater, Erica Durance, Michael Rosenbaum, John Glover, Allison Mack, Jack Larson, Ron Perlman, Nathan Fillion,
Spongebobfan88
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Spongebobfan88 »

Interesting, When you print the photo off of google isn't it Paper like?

I am thinking about ordering some 12 x 12's online and having them printed like a poster would be.
Maverick96
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Maverick96 »

You can print them at home on photo paper. I usually send 8x10 photos but some people send smaller or bigger. Just remember it will cost more to send 12x12.
2012 TTM Successes: Angus Scrimm, Michael C. Hall, Terry O'Quinn, Betsy Palmer, Steven Yeun, Christopher Lambert, Kate Beckinsale, Kevin Spacey, Chris Durand (H20), Alan Rickman, Laura Vandervoort, John Landis, George P. Wilbur (Halloween 4/6), Noel Neill, Hugh Jackman (AP), Dick Warlock (Halloween 2), Mark Wahlberg, Henry Winkler

2012 IP Successes: Linda Hamilton, Monica Keena, Kristanna Loken, Alex Vincent, Vivica A. Fox, Madeline Lintz

2012 Purchased: Brandon Routh

Waiting for: Hugh Jackman, Jackie Earle Haley, Brandon Routh, Terence Stamp, Nick Castle, Mythbusters, Tom Welling, Lance Henriksen, David Naughton

Addresses needed: Lance Henriksen, Bruce Boxleitner, Jamie Lee Curtis, Reggie Bannister, Michael Baldwin, Kevin Connors, Don Coscarelli

Sent Recently: Paul Rudd, James LeGros, Jon Gries, Kathy Ireland, Ellie Cornell, David Tennant, Helen Slater, Erica Durance, Michael Rosenbaum, John Glover, Allison Mack, Jack Larson, Ron Perlman, Nathan Fillion,
chadallen985
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by chadallen985 »

My suggestion would be to buy the photos off of ebay. I found a guy who has thousand of great 8x10 photos and I only pay 3.99 per photo. As for his shipping, it cost 3.25 for the first photo and if you buy more then 1 photo then the rest are free. They are packaged great and I have never had any damaged photos, and he ships them out fast. I have probably bought 60 photos from him. If you print your own photos, buy the time you figure the photo paper, ink, etc... you might as well spend it on a good quality photo.

Also, another suggestion would be to collect who you are into. Just because someone has success with someone doesn't mean you need to try to get one as well. Go after who you are a fan of, and use this site as a tool for collecting success info and addresses. I wouldn't do like some people and send 3 or more items to sign. That makes it seem as you are trying to make money off of them.

Any questions, feel free to ask...
SaberFireTiger
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by SaberFireTiger »

I usually print my photos at a local walgreens or ritzpix. Just upload them online and pick them up when they are ready.
Favorites: Fran Kranz, Jeffrey Donovan, Stana Katic, Summer Glau, Bridget Regan, Craig Horner, Karen Gillan, Matt Smith, Zachary Levi, Yvonne Strahovski, Daniel Radcliffe, my most wanted: JOSS WHEDON!
IP:Eliza Dushku, Adam Baldwin, Jewel Staite, Sean Maher, Ron Glass
Most Wanted: Dollhouse Cast