Personalized or Not?

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.

Moderator: admin

Personalized or Not?

You may select 1 option

View results

Tanya-rosemeyer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Re: Personalized or Not?

Post by Tanya-rosemeyer »

I think that when someone personalizes, it's meant to keep it from being sold. It may not be the case for everyone, but I have had some celebs tell me in-person that they personalize it becuase they don't want it to appear on eBay. Sometimes they do have a pile of photos that they have thier "assistant" personalize, which I am almost certain is the case with Maria Sharapova. That's pretty sad for those of us who would never sell them... It's almost an insult when I get a personalization, but that's just me.
carlosreddevil
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by carlosreddevil »

Personalised all the way for me. I have no interest in selling any of my pics, that's not the point. I really like to see the extra effort that someone has put in to personalise my pic, it feels a little less like a 'rush it, sign it, get it off my desk' sorta thing. I do, of course, get plain signed pics and that's fine too, but I always prefer to see my name on there. The only exception would be if I was getting a multi-signed item, like a Game of Thrones pic (for example) which I wanted numerous people to sign, then I might stick with just sigs.
Robinmiller
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Robinmiller »

I definitely prefer them to be personalized because to me, it's more special. They signed that photo (or Playbill or whatever) for ME, you know? And it's even better when they add a little note--like one I have says "To ______ With Much love, (signed)."

When I met a country singer one time, I asked her to sign a pic for my sister and her husband because they weren't able to make it to the concert. She put "To ____ and ___ Sorry I missed you! Love, (signed)." I thought that was so sweet. It's little things like that that makes it all worth it.
ryantbo
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by ryantbo »

Nissaea wrote:What is your preference and why?

Perhaps pros and cons as well.

I'm just curious as at first I really enjoyed having the celebrity actually personalize the autograph to me. However, at times I wish it was only their autograph in order to frame and display in my home.

Some celebs seem not to sign unless they can personalize in fear of it being sold.

Anyhow, enough of my jib jab. What do you think?
I definitely prefer them to be personalized. I have also had experiences with meeting actors at stage doors in NYC and I have a small post it note on my photo. Some have made jokes - "well you are not planning on putting this on ebay" I also had 1 actor who didnt usually sign photos at stage door said they did because i was getting personalized.
Marsha1993
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Marsha1993 »

I prefer personalized autographs. I mean, sure, there are those that you would rather have not personalized so that they would sell better later, but it's kind of cool to think that this big important person was thinking about YOU for a few seconds at least. Even if they don't know you personaly, and probably will never meet you, for the 5 seconds it takes to sign a picture they are thinking about the you they know from the letter you wrote, and it's just kind of neat to know that. :D
Computer Gary
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Computer Gary »

A little background, since I'm new here: my preferred medium is plain 3x5 cards, signed with a fine point ink pen. The majority of my autographs are of people in the comic book field, obtained in person at conventions and such. I don't do mail requests, and the only other autographs I buy are celebrity signed checks.

That having been said, when I ask for an autograph I ask them to make it out to me, and to add today's date as well. If it's an artist, they'll sometimes ask if I want them to do a little sketch, or they'll just go ahead and do it without asking, but I won't ask for a sketch on the card because they're giving me the autograph for free.
Alfie1997
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Alfie1997 »

I prefer personalized autographs. I mean, sure, there are those that you would rather have not personalized so that they would sell better later, but it's kind of cool to think that this big important person was thinking about YOU for a few seconds at least. Even if they don't know you personaly, and probably will never meet you, for the 5 seconds it takes to sign a picture they are thinking about the you they know from the letter you wrote, and it's just kind of neat to know that.
joeym90
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by joeym90 »

It doesn't really bother me, if its someone who has a catch phrase or saying etc that means something to me I like to try and have that and have it dedicated to me but otherwise I never usually request it to be dedicated and whether it is or isn't doesn't bother me too much as its for my collection or to be displayed on the wall so either is good. :D
knightfan1980
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner
Interests:

Post by knightfan1980 »

Doesn't matter to me as long as they are real.
ihavealife2uknow
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by ihavealife2uknow »

I don't ask for them to personalize in a request, but I love it when I get it back personalized. I'm happy either way though.