Hello, I'm new to this... HELP ME

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
joepierce
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Hello, I'm new to this... HELP ME

Post by joepierce »

Hello I'm trying to figure out the best way to send the pictures. And there are so many ways but no one comes out and breaks it down for a newbie. I have always wanted to do this, but just don't know the best way. What kind of envelopes, size for sending and SASE? Letter typed or hand written? So, many questions and no real hard answers. I'm in my 50's and I would love to get some of those people I grew up with before they die. They are getting up in age as well as I am. Is it easier to send 5x7 or 8x10? Do you find pictures on the internet and print them out or is there another way that is cheaper? I know you can buy them but then if you don't get them back you out of luck. If you get a group shot of a few actresses or actors what is the best way to get them all to sign it?
I'm looking for someone to give me the best info as to how to do this. If you send a 8x10 how do you send it without it getting bent up? That is another reason I was thinking 5x7 would be better. But what do I know, I'm trying to figure it all out. Size of envelope and what type and do you put a cardboard in with it or not? I hope that someone can help this old man.. lol. If I get good at this maybe I can get some for gifts to a few people I know would love something like this.
Thanks for reading my long letter and helping in anyway... maybe give me a list and then tell me in steps what to do.. Kind of like a recipe. lol
Joseph Pierce
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Hello, I'm new to this... HELP ME

Post by BossC »

Go to the collecting help page and there are some great helps there in the top posts

http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic ... 117&t=5719
This is a big one.

This hobby can get costly so I normally send small 4x6 photos then I use 6x9 envelopes. Between addresses in the us it is only one stamp on each envelope.

I prefer to handwrite my letters but time constraints have me typing them and printing on nice stationary.

BossC
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Hello, I'm new to this... HELP ME

Post by Hartster »

I like sending 8x10s, which I find on eBay or print out in a store (I usually do NASA photos, which have no copyrights and thus legally can be printed.) I cut up a piece of cardboard as a stiffner, put it inside a sheet protector with the photo (cutting off the binder holes for the sheet protector.)

That goes on top of a 9x12 SASE, which gets $3 in postage. The letter of request goes on top of that, and the whole thing gets mailed in a 10x13 envelope (which usually is about $2.64 or $2.87 postage for the United States - hence the $3 postage for the SASE.) I bring it to the Post Office for the postage to the celebrity, and tell them (because it has cardboard and marked "Do not bend") to send it first-class parcel.

Really, they _should_ send it that way rather than regular first-class because of the "Do not bend," although some will send it regular first class. But first-class parcel has the extra of a tracking number so you can see when the celebrity gets your letter.

4x6s are too small. 5x7s are next best if you're really strapped for money.

I always type my letters to make it clear what I'm asking for. But hand sign them.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/