Postage price from US to UK - 2015

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
asplit15
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Postage price from US to UK - 2015

Post by asplit15 »

Hi!

I have had a look around on the forum and on Google but I can't find a definitive answer on how much postage I need to include on a SASE which I am sending to the US from the UK.

I have no access to IRC's or US stamps so I am just sending dollars! I see some people say $3 is enough but then when using USPS calculator I get $6.39 for:

Large Envelope, weight 0 lb 1.7637 oz (0.050 kg) to United Kingdom (Great Britain and Northern Ireland)

Can someone give me some advice on how much I need to include as this my first TTM autograph attempt and I have read so much my head is swamped!

Thanks very much! :D [uk]
04/08/2015 - TTM's sent: Ryan Gosling, Paul Rudd, Chris Pratt, Jodi Benson, Sam Neill, Ant & Dec
Latest Recevied: Chris Pratt - 17/06/2016 | Jodi Benson - 05/01/2016 | Ant & Dec - 08/09/2015
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Postage price from US to UK - 2015

Post by BossC »

The difference in costs is because some post offices add on a non bendable price (package) instead of large letter.

Large envelope will be $3.31 in postage.

With the non bendable charge it is $7.10 (buying online will save a little as it is 6.39).

My advice is to put enough postage on the SASE for the 3.31 cost since it saves some money. If you are concerned about it you can put the $7 on it.

BossC
asplit15
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by asplit15 »

Ah right thanks for the reply!

So is it common practice to send these without cardboard inside? I don't mind doing so to save on postage but I just would have thought the autograph would be really tatty by the time it got back to the UK!

If I used cardboard that would be around $12 per TTM which is a little steep!

I think I may use no cardboard and put in $4 and hope for the best!
04/08/2015 - TTM's sent: Ryan Gosling, Paul Rudd, Chris Pratt, Jodi Benson, Sam Neill, Ant & Dec
Latest Recevied: Chris Pratt - 17/06/2016 | Jodi Benson - 05/01/2016 | Ant & Dec - 08/09/2015
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimmylee »

I never use card and have never had anything arrive bent from the US. Certainly never really tatty.

USPS have an online eBay shop and will ship stamps worldwide if you want to go that route.
NO LONGER ACTIVE
asplit15
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by asplit15 »

Ah right okay well that's promising!

Do you ship bubblewrap envelopes or just standard ones?

I already have a few dollars I got today so I think I will use these and possibly try and get some US stamps for the next ones I send out.

Thanks for the advice I really didn't think no card would be an option so that really good :D

Thanks again and I will post any replies I get on here! Exciting stuff! :mrgreen:
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimmylee »

Standard ones. Bubble wrap envelopes really don't make sense for photos.
NO LONGER ACTIVE
asplit15
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by asplit15 »

Thank you both very much for the help it is really appreciated! :D
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by BossC »

The extra price is sometimes called a "non machine able surcharge". I think it has something to do with can it be sent through the stamping machine to cancel postage.

Even though I always label my envelopes "do not bend" the postman doesn't always follow that hint. I have gotten several envelopes back-with cardboard-bent down the middle. :(

To me, creases are ok but some people it really ticks them off.

What I do is use cardboard inserts and pay according to weight with no other costs. You won't get every request back so I like to cut costs where I can.

Good luck with your letters!

BossC