Cancelled Stamps

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
rpbluesman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Cancelled Stamps

Post by rpbluesman »

I have decided to put an end to this subject of debate. Used stamps (Cancelled Or Not) CAN'T be reused. I say again. Used stamps (Cancelled Or Not) CAN'T be reused.

After seeing the contraversy over used stamps arise so many times, I decided to send an email to USPS. I got the reply today.

Daniel,

Thank you for visiting our website. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email. I understand that you want to settle a disagreement regarding stamps. A used stamp cannot ever be reused. If the stamp was already used to send mail through the USPS®, it cannot be used to mail a different mailpiece even if the stamp was not canceled.

Stamps that have not yet been used, but have been attached to an envelope may still be used. However, you may not cut an unused stamp from an envelope and use tape to apply to a new envelope. The tape will prevent the stamp from being canceled.

If you remove the unused stamp very carefully (steaming) and use glue to reapply to a new envelope, it may then be used for postage.

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thank you for using the United States Postal Service.

Lynette

I thought I'd just settle this debate. Hopefully it won't arise anymore.

Daniel 8)

Post by Guest »

Thank you rpbluesman.
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by TheCollector »

Hi Daniel {up}

Thanks for the info :P

Hopefully that will resolve the frequent questions. I guess it is up to the individual as to what they prefer to do, but at least we have the official legal side sorted out now :)

However USPS are in the business of selling stamps, so I can't help thinking that they would say that wouldn't they? :wink:

Ian :mrgreen:
Joey
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Joey »

Thanks Daniel!

I agree with Ian :D

Joey {up}
*Sakazakii*

Post by *Sakazakii* »

I always use uncancelled again. And never ever had a problem. I removse them carefully and clue them on the next envelope and it works just fine. I had one pair of stamps from Australia I used this pair 4 times till it got cancelled.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun May 02, 2021 10:57 pm.