Which envelopes to use

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
Morphindel
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Which envelopes to use

Post by Morphindel »

Been a while since i was last on these boards, but i'm thinking about getting back into collecting again. Just wondering which envelopes people use to send requests, and how they include their return envelope.

When i started out i used huge envelopes with addressed 8.5x11 (or A4) board backed envelopes inside. It was kind of ridiculous and expensive though, as the outer envelope's size was just confusing and often priced differently. I don't think they even have envelopes that size in North America which is where most of my requests are sent.

Then i switched (as someone here suggested) to the same size return envelopes sent in Mailer Bags. This was good because i kept the original size, and the board backed return envelope inside still kept it rigid. If the mailer bag was too big, i could just tape the sides down to fit the envelope.

But now since moving i haven't been able to find those same board backed envelopes, and instead i've been using these thick card stock document envelopes. They are great, but the flap that you seal up when mailing it sticks out so much that when i put it in the mailer bag it still sticks out and gives the package a really awkward shape. I'm worried it is why i haven't been receiving many replies for a while - i think that awkward shape is just getting lost or ignored in the mail. I tried using paper clips to hold it in place, but the card is too strong to be contained.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It really needs to be 8.5x11 or A4 (or equivalent) in size because most of my photos are 8x10 or around that size.

Thanks!
Recent Successes:
Jessica Chastain, Saoirse Ronan!<3 (TTM), Uzo Aduba, Laura Carmichael & Zawe Ashton (ip), Jane Horrocks, Gemma Arterton, Jim Broadbent, Lucy Liu, Christina Ricci, Andres Muschietti, Bill Skarsgard, and the cast of IT, Ian McKellen, Noomi Rapace (VV), MST3K/Rifftrax main cast (Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy), Geddy Lee (ip)
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Which envelopes to use

Post by Hartster »

My SASEs are 9x12 envelopes with a piece of cardboard as stiffener for an 8x10 photo and sleeve. I send them to the person in a 10x13 envelope.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
Morphindel
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Which envelopes to use

Post by Morphindel »

thanks. Maybe i'll just have to try the carboard trick
Recent Successes:
Jessica Chastain, Saoirse Ronan!<3 (TTM), Uzo Aduba, Laura Carmichael & Zawe Ashton (ip), Jane Horrocks, Gemma Arterton, Jim Broadbent, Lucy Liu, Christina Ricci, Andres Muschietti, Bill Skarsgard, and the cast of IT, Ian McKellen, Noomi Rapace (VV), MST3K/Rifftrax main cast (Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy), Geddy Lee (ip)