How to send fanmail to Hong Kong?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
xxanasazixx
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

How to send fanmail to Hong Kong?

Post by xxanasazixx »

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now, as there are a couple actors I am very interested in getting. I am unsure of how to send a package to Hong Kong and what I would need to put on the return envelope.

I live in the U.S. [us]

Envelope to Send:
My plan was to simply ship it to the Hong Kong Address via PayPal Shipping Labels. It says it would cost about $12.00.
  • Is this a good/best way to do this or is there an easier/cheaper way to send the package out? I have no problem paying $12.00 but just was curious if there was an easier way

Return Envelope:
This is where I get lost. I've seen people post their return envelopes, and a lot of them have different things on there. Some have all US stamps, others have other weird labels....
  • What would I need to put on the return envelope for it to make it back to me?
  • If just putting forever stamps on the return envelope would be fine, and my package wouldn't be bendable, how many stamps would i need?

Thanks everyone who answers! I greatly appreciate it, as I'm not very good at international shipping.

Cheers!
admin
Site Admin

Re: How to send fanmail to Hong Kong?

Post by admin »

Hi xxanasazixx :)

If you send your autograph request to Hong Kong, you can calculate postage price here: https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/home/index.html
You can buy your stamps here: https://stamponnet.hongkongpost.hk/omos ... owLogin.do
Here's an example of SASE: http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic.php?t=1388031

For China main land, price calculator is here: http://english.chinapost.com.cn/html1/c ... 4048-1.htm
http://zf.chinapost.com.cn/index.do;jse ... 1299295388

You can buy International Reply Coupons on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/International- ... 2078259372

Fanmail 8)
gatosunited13
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gatosunited13 »

What I would do and I highly recommend this if the thing you’re sending is small like a photo or something.

1) I would use a 6x9 envelope because so you can fit the smaller envelope like a white one for whatever you wanted signed to be sent back to you.

2) don’t worry about postage if you’re sending it to HK since to whomever you’re sending it to, may be kind enough to pay for postage.

3) get global international stamps because they would save you from using a lot of forever stamps and $1.15 as postage should be enough to send to HK unless if it’s over 1oz. But if you’re unsure about postage then go to the post office and they will determine the price.

I hope you do this as it would save you money by sending it as a letter and not a package.
xxanasazixx
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by xxanasazixx »

gatosunited13 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:17 am What I would do and I highly recommend this if the thing you’re sending is small like a photo or something.

1) I would use a 6x9 envelope because so you can fit the smaller envelope like a white one for whatever you wanted signed to be sent back to you.

2) don’t worry about postage if you’re sending it to HK since to whomever you’re sending it to, may be kind enough to pay for postage.

3) get global international stamps because they would save you from using a lot of forever stamps and $1.15 as postage should be enough to send to HK unless if it’s over 1oz. But if you’re unsure about postage then go to the post office and they will determine the price.

I hope you do this as it would save you money by sending it as a letter and not a package.
Sent you a Private Message. Hoping you could help answer a couple of questions.
gatosunited13
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gatosunited13 »

xxanasazixx wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:08 am
gatosunited13 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:17 am What I would do and I highly recommend this if the thing you’re sending is small like a photo or something.

I've never got a PM from you.
xxanasazixx
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by xxanasazixx »

gatosunited13 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:58 pm
xxanasazixx wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:08 am

I've never got a PM from you.

That's really weird, as it even sent me the receipt to my email showing that it sent.

I just resent right now, let me know if you get it, otherwise I'll just post on here.

Thanks!
gatosunited13
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gatosunited13 »

Hey I never got a PM from you so won’t you mind posting your questions on here?
xxanasazixx
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by xxanasazixx »

gatosunited13 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:38 pm Hey I never got a PM from you so won’t you mind posting your questions on here?
Basically my questions are here below:

I usually send out envelopes that are considered "large packages". Usually they range from being 3oz - 5oz, so not heavy at all, but also not 1oz. I stopped sending out flimsy envelopes cause a couple things got returned to be bent/beat up, so I pad all my envelopes now with cardboard, thus making them thick and considered "thick package/envelope".

I don't really understand too much about sending internationally. IRC's and all that stuff. So I'll list my questions as simply as possible so to not confuse you haha. I think you answered a part of it already but here goes:

Package I'm Sending:
- Global International Stamps (can I just get these on ebay and if so, do i just put 1 on or how do they work)
- Could I just send via shipping label (say i do it on PayPal and spend the $10 or w/e)

Package HK actor would be sending back
- Would I just put U.S. Stamps on the return envelope? Or would I have to put something else on it like some kind of HK stamp?
- How do I figure out how many stamps I need to put on the return envelope?

Basically, I just need to know, if I'm sending a thick/rigid 0.5 oz padded envelope (normally $3.50 to send if it were going to the U.S.), what would I need to put on it if I'm sending it to HK, and what would I need to put on the return envelope that's inside of it for it to make it back to me.

Thank you!!
gatosunited13
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gatosunited13 »

For package I’m sending answers :
1. You just need one global stamp to put on the envelope that you’re sending to HK.
2. Don’t get a label and if formatting is a concern then I would go to the Universal Postal Union website as they have great resources on address formatting.
Package HK actor sending back part answers :
1. The actor/actress would pay the postage for you.
2. You don’t need stamps for the return envelope inside and same answer as my first answer.

For the last question :
You can put in do not bend unless it’s already on the padded envelope. For the return envelope that’s inside same thing.

If the post office asks you what’s inside and do this before hand is take pictures of what you’re sending and show them that but if you say you’re sending a photo then you won’t fill out a customs form, but if it’s not a photo then you would need to fill one out but I don’t know what your sending and if you have questions ask the post office!

I usually send a 6x9 yellow envelope with metal thingys in the back and a white envelope that’s not too small and a index card to be signed so it would weigh only 0.5 oz is my guess. But good luck with what you’re sending I hope all goes well.
xxanasazixx
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by xxanasazixx »

gatosunited13 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 pm For package I’m sending answers :
1. You just need one global stamp to put on the envelope that you’re sending to HK.
2. Don’t get a label and if formatting is a concern then I would go to the Universal Postal Union website as they have great resources on address formatting.
Package HK actor sending back part answers :
1. The actor/actress would pay the postage for you.
2. You don’t need stamps for the return envelope inside and same answer as my first answer.

For the last question :
You can put in do not bend unless it’s already on the padded envelope. For the return envelope that’s inside same thing.

If the post office asks you what’s inside and do this before hand is take pictures of what you’re sending and show them that but if you say you’re sending a photo then you won’t fill out a customs form, but if it’s not a photo then you would need to fill one out but I don’t know what your sending and if you have questions ask the post office!

I usually send a 6x9 yellow envelope with metal thingys in the back and a white envelope that’s not too small and a index card to be signed so it would weigh only 0.5 oz is my guess. But good luck with what you’re sending I hope all goes well.
I think it's all starting to make sense now!

Thank you!