Improvements for "Selling/Trading" forum

Have any ideas to improve the forum? Post them here!

Moderator: admin

RuleroftheWorld

Improvements for "Selling/Trading" forum

Post by RuleroftheWorld »

Just a few random thoughts.....

1) Make it a rule that any autographs you're trying to sell/trade MUST have pics/scans of them posted in the thread. Far too many threads have no pics, and members are saying (PM/email me for pics). The fact that these deals are being done in private worries me, as it implies that people are selling/trading FAKES. If they were authentic, why wouldnt they just post pics in the thread?

2) Activate the "Trusted autograph sellers, buyers & traders" group. The original intention of this group was that only members of the group could sell/trade. This idea seems to have been dropped, unfortunately. This group idea was a good idea in theory, so implement it. Only give access to the trade/sale forum to those in the group. It may not stop fraudsters completely, but it should cut the numbers at the very least.

3) Have some Moderators specific to the sale/trade forum. This would enable the obvious fraudsters threads to be removed ASAP. When someone is offering (for example) an "Authentic Johnny Depp signed index card" for $4, you know somethings wrong. But the inexperienced collectors will PM that guy immediately thinking they have a bargain.

Just some random thoughts, any opinions welcome.
James
Interests:

Re: Improvements for "Selling/Trading" forum

Post by James »

10000000000% agree.
Nammzi
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Nammzi »

2) Activate the "Trusted autograph sellers, buyers & traders" group. The original intention of this group was that only members of the group could sell/trade. This idea seems to have been dropped, unfortunately. This group idea was a good idea in theory, so implement it. Only give access to the trade/sale forum to those in the group. It may not stop fraudsters completely, but it should cut the numbers at the very least.
I don't see how that would work, because if only people from that group are allowed in the forum, then how will anyone new ever get to buy or sell anything? I agree with your other two ideas, but this one doesn't seem to make sense =/ What's the point in having a buying section if only the people who have already bought things in the past are allowed in?
Here comes the world and she is beautifully mysterious

http://scottishspca.fotopic.net/
RuleroftheWorld

Nammzi wrote:
I don't see how that would work, because if only people from that group are allowed in the forum, then how will anyone new ever get to buy or sell anything? I agree with your other two ideas, but this one doesn't seem to make sense =/ What's the point in having a buying section if only the people who have already bought things in the past are allowed in?
You've misunderstood.

To become a "Trusted seller/buyer/trader" you have to give Admin some personal information etc. Only people within this group are allowed to buy, or trade, or sell. This gives some security to hopefully reduce people getting ripped off. It helps stop people signing up just to sell/trade fakes, or rip people off.

I dont know where you got "What's the point in having a buying section if only the people who have already bought things in the past are allowed in?" from :?
cernan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by cernan »

Hey Andy -

Regarding the personal information, I think that someone could just lie. I don't mean to sound morbid, but it would be incredibly easy for someone to pass off fake info just to become a Trusted Buyer/Seller.
cernan@fanmail.biz
Feel Free to PM or Email me with any questions or comments!
I will try to answer as soon as possible although that may not always be possible due to my busy schedule.
RuleroftheWorld

cernan wrote:Hey Andy -

Regarding the personal information, I think that someone could just lie. I don't mean to sound morbid, but it would be incredibly easy for someone to pass off fake info just to become a Trusted Buyer/Seller.
Thats true. :( Just trying to think of ways to protect members from people like that, and to be honest, its not easy :neutral:
whosurdaddy
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by whosurdaddy »

I liked it better when it was locked with that said #1 I agree with Andy that anything for sale or trade must have pics. If your unable to post pics then you should not be allowed to post. #2 cernan's right ,trying to obtain accurate personal info. would be difficult if not impossible. #3 There absolutely should be a specific moderator or moderators who are hardnosed, experienced and has the time to research and authenticate to a reasonable cetainty. I know 2 who are not mods. or jm's who would be perfect to moderate that forum.
Peyton
Interests:

Post by Peyton »

Andy, you've got some great ideas. I see what you're saying about trusted autograph buyers, sellers, and traders. I think everyone should be allowed in the forum just only the trusted ones can sell. I think everyone can buy, I mean if they don't give you the money you don't have to give them the item. Great ideas!
seb88
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by seb88 »

Agree w/ you Peyton. Using advance payment is great for both parts. Its very risky for the foreign customer though, because the goods may not get shipped as planned, the goods may get lost or the goods could be damaged during shipment. Anyway, a bit off topic..

Andy, I couldnt agree with you more on your ideas. I also think that sellers who claims to have bought an autograph from a certified dealer and tries to sell it here needs to post a pic of the COA that came with the autograph when he bought it..

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:06 am.
My website. My autographs: TheCollection
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"When i get sad, i stop being sad and be awesome again. True story!"