Post Removed By User AutographDiva

Post your feedback about a celebrity address you have tested. Win a $10 Gift Certificate! How? Test an Address and Post your Feedback!
AutographDiva
$10 gift certificate winner

Re: Grace Slick - Musician and artist - No Longer Signing

Post by AutographDiva »

mikesautos wrote:i just think it is Stupid to say i am not signing because some people sell them . Sounds like a Very lame Excuse to quit signing . Just be honest & say i do want to sign . thanks
The problem is, it is trending. What will we do when no celebrity will sign because of address mills, fake fans, and eBay? Thier will be no collecting as we know it now. Why not for the good of everyone involved, only collect autos from people you are actually fans of. There really does need to be some way to not allow collectors for profit to not participate in these types of sites.
Most of my collection can be viewed here: http://celebritybymk.wix.com/autographs
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi AutographDiva :)

Thank you for your feedback {up}

You have been added to the list for the $10 gift certificate.

{star} Grace Slick on Fanmail.biz | Previous Feedback Received

Fanmail 8)
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

renef09 wrote:2. If a celebrity signs for free for a fan, why would that fan sell it afterwards? If you ask for an auto, it would mean that it is you that want to collect it and not profit from it.
Answer 1: Sometimes you get in a situation and are forced to sell.

Answer 2: When a person dies, there's a finite supply of their signatures. If you want one, what's your choice? Buy or go without. If you have their signature, you can sell it to someone who wants it.

Bottom line is, whether people like it or not, the selling autographs has been around for a long, long time and will continue to do so. eBay and other sites are not the bad guys here (although eBay has made it easier.)

If a celebrity charges a fee, guess what? That's the selling of an autograph. It's just the money is made by that person, not the one requesting the autograph.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
renef09
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by renef09 »

Hartster wrote:
renef09 wrote:2. If a celebrity signs for free for a fan, why would that fan sell it afterwards? If you ask for an auto, it would mean that it is you that want to collect it and not profit from it.
Answer 1: Sometimes you get in a situation and are forced to sell.

Answer 2: When a person dies, there's a finite supply of their signatures. If you want one, what's your choice? Buy or go without. If you have their signature, you can sell it to someone who wants it.

Bottom line is, whether people like it or not, the selling autographs has been around for a long, long time and will continue to do so. eBay and other sites are not the bad guys here (although eBay has made it easier.)

If a celebrity charges a fee, guess what? That's the selling of an autograph. It's just the money is made by that person, not the one requesting the autograph.
May I do a clarification. Sorry, I meant to refer to bad faith cases, not the ones you mentioned. All of what you said is completely true.
Collector from Asunción, Paraguay TTM: J. Williams, E. Morricone, F. Beckenbauer, J. Dench, O. Pistorius x 2, L. Matthäus, R. Völler, O. Kahn, H. Ford PP, G. Müller, Steppenwolf, B. Borg, I. McKellen, M. Hamill, F. Rossi, R. Parfitt, G. Scarfe, G. Slick, R. Federer, J. Guldberg, T. Stahl, P. Collins, R. Ballard, P. Withers, J. Illsley, G. Martin, H. Lewis, J. Bulloch, F. Pienaar, P. Coelho, G. Sinise, S. Maier, J. Carter, L. Marini, P. Breitner, R. Stewart, B. Bardot, D. Zoff, T. Burgnich, J.E. Jones, K. Baker, J. Zanetti, M. Gorbachev, R. Bonhof, S. Thorgerson, R. Daltrey, U. Eco, W. Samuel, Sting, J. Cocker, T. Ravelli, H. Shore, J. Hurt, R. Baggio, H. Mirren, K. Spacey, K. Moss, R. Kopa, P. ?ech, J. Fontaine, R. Duvall, S. Loren, A. Ferguson, R. Astley, S. Moss, J. Reno, B. Nighy, R. Scott, M. van Basten, J. Cruyff, J. Voight, B. May, A. Moore, B. Gibb, A. Arkin, R. Plant, J. McEnroe, Roxette, Heart, B. Andersson, M. Platini, Figo, Rivellino, Pelé IP: A. Parsons, V. Mortensen
AutographDiva

Post by AutographDiva »

[/quote]Bottom line is, whether people like it or not, the selling autographs has been around for a long, long time and will continue to do so. eBay and other sites are not the bad guys here (although eBay has made it easier.)

If a celebrity charges a fee, guess what? That's the selling of an autograph. It's just the money is made by that person, not the one requesting the autograph.[/quote]

My point is more that we are getting to a point where most celebs will either sign for a fee or not at all. They are no longer willing to be profited off of in such abundance. The benefit of the internet (in general) has made collecting a lot more competitive. I suppose it is just disheartening to see so many stop signing because their addresses get spammed. Why not either make the profit the collector will eventually make for themselves? In the worst of cases, the celeb just stops signing. It is frustrating as a fan and a collector. TTM request will eventually become obsolete and the true fans that support an artist will be the victims. Have some moral about yourself and your hobby.
Most of my collection can be viewed here: http://celebritybymk.wix.com/autographs
Elizabethdodds
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Elizabethdodds »

mikesautos wrote:i just think it is Stupid to say i am not signing because some people sell them . Sounds like a Very lame Excuse to quit signing . Just be honest & say i do want to sign . thanks
Celebs dont have to sign. They dont need an excuse. They only sign if they want. Im pleased shes stopped.
Waiting for: Colin Morgan,Tom Hiddleston, Lauren Cohan, ..

Most Wanted : Colin Morgan, Matt Smith, Chris Evans & The Walking Dead cast....

Bought Successes : Enation, Benedict Cumberbatch, 30 Seconds To Mars(jared,shannon,tomo), Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki dual signed 

TTM Successes: Misha Collins, Alex O'loughlin, Emma Stone, Bradley James,Katie McGrath, Alona Tal, Louise Brealey.Karen Gillian, David Tennant. 
mikesautos
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mikesautos »

I agree with the guy a couple post above . There is no difference in a Celb charging a fee for there autograph . Than some selling a autograph to some 1 who wants there autograph . Like he said the Only Difference is when a celb charges a fee the $$$ goes in there pocket & there rich all ready . There is nothing wrong with selling a double of a autograph to some 1 who is a fan & wants there autograph ! So if you were on hard times & lost your job & were going to be homeless . You would not sell some autographs to eat & have a place to live ? I think so ..
warlordforever04
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by warlordforever04 »

dam ebay sellers screw it up for all
anyway I got from the late George Steinbrenner a letter he stopped signing due to his autographed signed pics sold on ebay
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

AutographDiva wrote: Have some moral about yourself and your hobby.
So fans that sell autographs are immoral? Pretty full of yourself, aren't you? That must mean, by extension, that celebrities who sell autographs also have no morals because if they were "true celebrities," they wouldn't sell their signature.

TTM autographs - and I think what is meant by that are FREE autographs - are the exception, not the rule. Celebrities charge to cut down on the number of requests, as well as to control the situation.

Fans are under no obligation to keep the autograph given to them - it is a gift, and they are free to do whatever they want with their gift. If you never buy or sell an autograph your entire life, even from a celebrity, congratulations. But just be aware, when you die, your collection will wind up with one of two fates: Being discarded, or being sold.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

AutographDiva wrote:There really does need to be some way to not allow collectors for profit to not participate in these types of sites.
And how do you propose to do that? You can't, whether that person is a full-time dealer or an occasional seller. And really, if you're a full-time dealer you probably don't need sites like this, because you've gotten autographs in-person or through (gasp!) signings where you've paid the celebrity to do so.

If you want to take the high road, again, don't ever pay for an autograph. That includes not attending conventions where either the signature is part of the entrance fee or is extra, or pay for a meet-and-greet, or buy a book where the celebrity is doing a book signing. If a fan is never allowed to sell an autograph, then the celebrity shouldn't either. Maybe if enough fans stop getting signatures from celebrities who sell, then the celebrity would realize it and sign for free. Yes, I'm being facetious, but that's a similar attitude that's being bandied about here: That if fans would stop selling stuff, celebrities would sign more.

Off-tangent, but what needs to be stopped, IMHO, is writing celebrities as private addresses. There's a reason they're private: They don't want fan mail at that address. But people who feel entitled to an autograph continue to write them there instead of an address they provide or accept that they won't sign otherwise. Just because a search reveals that address doesn't mean it should be used. And that's why celebrities stop signing as well.