For TRASH - Getting To Know The Various Forms Of Autographs

Trash
whosurdaddy
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by whosurdaddy »

Here's some good reads on how Great :roll: PSADNA is.
http://richardsimonsports.com/hofauto2.htm
autograph hound
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by autograph hound »

Anyone familiar with WWE autographs :

Ms Elizabeth SP (signed back in '91 & the session was mentioned in wrestling mag too...seems pretty legit)

Owen , JJ & Debra SP (session organized by Race Car Nutz , I've got the ticket stub also....seems legit ?)

British Bulldog SP (allprorehl.com COA.....unsure about this one ?)

Thanks !
cianod25
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by cianod25 »

Does anyone have a copy of a kiefer sutherland authentic, id like to compare the autograph i will get back from him with an authentic, thanks, cian :D
Im Irish... Thats all you need to know! ;)
Leprachauns do exist!
zombieman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

I'd like to add something if I may.

Post by zombieman »

I've only read the first page so forgive me if these remarks have already been posted but if it's ok I'd like to add my "tips" if you will. I'm not an expert by any means but I've read lots of advice from U.A.C.C people and have learned from making mistakes of buying a few fake autographs (when I first started collecting many years ago) - don't worry, those are thrown out now. I try now to only deal with UACC dealers, people with photographic proof, in person (which is only a couple times considering I live in N.C) and a few through the mail.

My personal tips.

1. If the price is "too good to be true" it probably is. You aren't going to usually get anyones autograph (regardless of how little amount of fame they carry) for $5 like forgers often sell. You aren't going to get a Buffy The Vampire Slayer cast of 8 photo signed by all for $10 or Tom Hank for $9.99. This just doesn't happen. Signatures that are real are too hard to aqquire for anyone to let go of them so cheaply.

2. Is the selection too unbelieveable? If a seller is selling cast autographs for Friends, Buffy, Heroes, Seinfield and also Tom Hanks, Michael J. Fox, etc - watch out because it's most likely fakes being listed. I've not only seen this but I've seen people listing new photos of the above every week. Nobody is going to have all of those to sell, MUCH LESS new ones each week.

3. Watch out for things that are impossible. As Einstein was mentioned (Laser Printer comment) there are other easy ones to tell like a newly printed Elvis photo can't be autographed as Elvis has been dead for many years. Marilyn Monroe signature on a dvd is impossible because they did not exist when she was alive. As the other person said..look out for these "impossible to have been autographed" items.

4. Watch out for people who seem to be hiding something. Many examples of this can exist. For one a user on eBay who keeps feedback and auctions private is often trying to hide feedback that may mention something being a fake or hide their bidder from being contacted by an actually reputable autograph dealer that wants to inform them they are fakes. Another example is someone who is unwilling to give up information of how the autograph was obtained. It's understandable that someone didn't get a photo taken but can't they atleast know a location or date the autograph was obtained? Locations can be faked. I see many people who just keep listing "this was obtained in NY at a signing" but they say it for every auction AND that's too little of detail to be valuable anyways. Dates, times, exact signing location (store name for example), etc is a little better but still can be faked. Forgers rarely are smart enough to be able to fake too much information like that though.

5. As already said but I'd like to reitterate. COA's are useless. The U.A.C.C puts it best when they say "COA's are only as good as the dealer issuing them". If it's a reputable U.A.C.C dealer or an official website for the star or movie or something like that, a COA is valuable to have. But otherwise anybody can make a COA. It's not hard to type in fancy font, use nice paper and print something out quickly. Also never be fooled by anyone just because they say "It's authentic, I guarantee" anyone can spit those words out of their mouth, it doesn't mean anything unless it's someone you can trust or a reputable delaer, just like COA's - sellers word means as much as the seller speaking it.

6. Hard to tell what's going on? If a person can't provide clear photos of the item or atleast the autograph on the item...you may have something to worry about. Not everyone has a nice scanner (I don't) but even with a digital camera it's not that hard to take a big photo of the item or a closeup of the signature. I often see forgers using small photos that are often blurry or difficult to make out the signature enough to compare it. Many reputable dealers will post large photos or somehow make it very easy for the autograph to be examined by the buyer.

Finally...I say trust your instincts. If something seems too good or if you just aren't completely sure something is authentic or you don't feel like you can trust a seller...then don't fool with it. There is too much forgery out there for anyone to buy an autograph from someone when they feel "iffy" of the authenticity. I'd say that 95% of autographs sold on eBay are completely fake.

Take pride in your collection. It's like having something amazing, a memento of your favorite actor, a piece of history, whatever it be..make sure it was worth spending money on (real autographs rarely come too cheap) and know that your collection is authentic. I can take pride in knowing my collection, while not nearly as big as some, is authentic.

Thanks for reading my 2 cents$!
Taxi_06
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: How To Find Out If Your Autograph Is Genuine Or Not

Post by Taxi_06 »

Do you think John Cleese's are real?
"I love robbing the English, they're so polite."
-Kevin Kline- "A Fish Called Wanda"
ImageImageImageImage
rpbluesman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: How To Find Out If Your Autograph Is Genuine Or Not

Post by rpbluesman »

Wow....been a while since I checked in on my old thread.

I would just like to point out that this thread is NOT for use in asking authenticity of a certain autograph. Please post your question in the Auto Collecting Discussions forum....and not here. This thread is to be used as a tool to help you identify the types of autos out there.
autograph hound
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Getting To Know The Various Forms Of Autographs

Post by autograph hound »

Marilyn Monroe signature on a dvd is impossible because they did not exist when she was alive.

LOL , they didn't even have VHS back then (except for TV studios) :mrgreen:
ROB123
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ROB123 »

Thanks and what a great post ! {up}
johnedwin
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by johnedwin »

Deleted for Spam.
Last edited by Selise on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spamming