Handwritten or typed letter?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
Everybody_Lies
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Handwritten or typed letter?

Post by Everybody_Lies »

Hey guys,

I was wondering how you write the letters in your autograph requests. Do you type then or write them by hand?
At the moment I write all letters by hand but I am thinking of starting to type, because it is sooooo much work. :oops:
My question is: I have read that celebrities do not often respond to typed letters because they are not that personal. Have you made this experience?

Thanks for your answers :)
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Handwritten or typed letter?

Post by Hartster »

Doesn't matter. I typewrite my letters, even if it takes up less than half a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, simply because I want to make my LOR legible and understood. Most times they'll glance at your letter, find the item you want signed from your package, sign it and place it in your SASE. That's especially true when you're writing to someone not in their native language (e.g., writing to Russian cosmonauts in English.)

You don't have to make it too personal. That is, don't go on about how old you are, how old you were when you first saw them in whatever, and ask them six hundred questions. They don't have time for that, and most likely an assistant reads their mail anyway, setting aside your photo and SASE for them to sign. It may sound formish, but there's nothing wrong with, "Dear So-and-So, I like your last movie. Would you do me the favor of signing the enclosed photo from that film, and returning it in the provided SASE? This would be much appreciated. Best regards, /s/ Your name."

What they may not respond to are obvious form letters. I once had someone mistakenly send me a letter intended for a celebrity (at the time, I was a writer for an autograph magazine.) It was handwritten, but it was photocopied and the person name's name written in a different colored ink as the salutation.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
Everybody_Lies
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Everybody_Lies »

Thanks for your detailed answer :)
My handwritten letters are also this short, but they are stil handwritten.
But I think of starting typing now. It will be a lot easier...
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

You really expect that people can't write a simple LOR and as well that they'll pay someone to do so? Not to mention your post includes a grammatical mistake.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/