How To Preserve Your Autographs

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!

Moderator: admin

lightsaber
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Re: How To Preserve Your Autographs

Post by lightsaber »

^^ I have those too, they work great in my binders {up}
My most wanted: Dianna Agron, Glee Cast, Jennifer Lawrence, Lady Gaga, Rob Dyrdek, Shay Mitchell, Miley Cyrus, Rupert Grint, Alanna Masterson, Eliza Taylor, Jon Groff.
Favorite Autographs: Heather Morris (authentic), Lea Michele (IP), Matthew Morrison (IP), Tom Welling (authentic), Lucy Hale (authentic purchase), Kristin Chenoweth (authentic purchase)
check out my instagram: @agronskyfan
AutographDiva
$10 gift certificate winner
Interests:

Post by AutographDiva »

Pioneer makes some great acid free and archival quality products. I have been using them for years. They are attractive and about as safe as you can get. The only negative is that they can be expensive for larger collections. It is worth the cost in the long run. The albums that I use also allow you to increase the size of each album with refill pages. With a collection of of about 700, mostly 8X10's I am currently using 6 albums.
Most of my collection can be viewed here: http://celebritybymk.wix.com/autographs
fromuk2014
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by fromuk2014 »

If anyone could point me in the right direction for 12x8 folders or storage I would appreciate it, I've looked around and there just doesn't seem like much, if anything at all on the market.
Insertnamehere.
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Insertnamehere. »

Thank You R.S.V.P! You gave such a good explanation I thought I'd make it a sticky!

Here are some tips that will help to protect your collection from irreversable damage:

- Keep your collection in the dark in a cool dry place. Heat and humidity contribute to the destruction of paper, especially paper containing acid from wood pulp. Light fades many inks (especially felt-tip) and browns the paper.

- Do not store autographs in a fireproof safe. The humidity level in the safe is high in order to protect documents in a fire. Unfortunatelly that level is too high, and it will eventually damage your autographs.

- Store autographs only in Mylar “D” polyester or cellulose acetate folders, and put them in an archival acid-free box. Never use polyvinyl chloride (PVC) folders. They can be identified by their strong “plastic” odor. Use only acid-free paper insert; the black paper inserts included with some sheet protectors are highly acidic and will destroy your autographs.

- Avoid repairing paper will cellophane (“Scotch”) or masking tape. The adhesive will damage and eventually destroy the paper. If a repair is necessary, use only archival paper mending tissue. Better yet, seek expert help

- Remove paper clips and staples from multipage documents, because they cause rust stains.

- You can usually remove old paper documents glued down to album pages by soaking them in lukewarm water, but don’t use this method on vellum or parchment documents, documents written in aniline ink, or modern documents

- Avoid framing valuable autographs. But if you insists on framing an autograph, use only acid-free matting materials and UF3 Plexiglas or museum glass. The autograph should never be pasted or taped down in any way. Mylar “D” or other acid-free mounting corners should be used to keep the item from shifting in the frame

- Display them away from direct sunlight, fluorescent lighting, and sources of heat (such as radiators)
Robinmiller
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Robinmiller »

My autographs are in either glass or perspex fronted frames. I don't know if that's good or not.

But a lot of other autographs we have in our house are from stamp and autograph companies and have already been framed with those materials... so I'm not sure if actually glass and perspex is OK to use, as professionals do.
dancingirl1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by dancingirl1 »

Robinmiller wrote:My autographs are in either glass or perspex fronted frames. I don't know if that's good or not.

But a lot of other autographs we have in our house are from stamp and autograph companies and have already been framed with those materials... so I'm not sure if actually glass and perspex is OK to use, as professionals do.
With the ones that are in glass, are they matted? or are they just in normal glass frames?
Britney Spears==>> 6 #1 albums. 2 diamond albums. 8 platinum albums. 400+ awards. 200M+ records sold. Britney has sold over 45 million records this decade despite only releasing three albums. Globally, Britney has more #1 singles than any other female artist except Madonna and Rihanna. "Oops!...I Did It Again" by Britney is the 5th best selling album of the 2000s decade worldwide. Britney is the only female artist to chart her first seven albums in the top two of the Billboard 200. Britney has achieved at least one #1 album in 3 different decades (90's, 00's, 10's). Britney is the first solo female artist from the 90's to reach 1 billion Spotify streams. Despite NOT even being a single, 'Tom's Diner', ft. Britney , has become Giorgio Moroders best-selling digital track. 2015 Billboard Awards ratings reached a 14-year high, with numbers peaking during Britney's performance. She IS the princess of Pop. Bow Down! #StayMadHaters
Gastricband
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Gastricband »

I also am a big fan of the clear plastic archival safe acid free "sleeves". I purchased a big box of them from Costco and have been using them for all sorts of things.

I have my organized in a binder by sections: Music, Movies, TV, Sports, Other

I also made up "dividers" on the computer to put in front of the autographs if there are multiple related autographs. For example, one divider is "Harry Potter Autographs", and another "Indiana Jones Autographs" , "Golfers", "Olympic Athletes".

OK, it sounds like I have too much time on my hands, but I really don't and it's easy to do. I just like being organized. Anyone can then sit down with the binder and have fun browsing thru it, without actually touching any photographs and smearing them, etc.

Hope that helps someone!
Smaointe
Interests:

Post by Smaointe »

Hi everyone,

I have found an online company called KeepFiling.com that I think is a bit expensive but I think their overall quality for protective sleeves is pretty good. They range in different sizes and I now keep most of my autographs in these protective sleeves. They are top loading so I might look into re sealable ones, but so far I have not had a problem.

I have been keeping mine in a binder but due to the stacking, Im afraid the different sized papers will cause some to bend.

I have some in frames, but I can't remember the type of glass or matting that I used. I haven't noticed any issues with it, but I don't want to risk damage by removing them either.

I also wanted to ask for recommendations regarding DVD cases and CD case sized booklets, such as inserts. The DVD cases are quite thick and fall out of all of my sleeves. The CD booklets are a bit oddly shaped to me, or at least I havent seen sleeves made for their size.

Thanks!
In person autographs: Peter Mayhew, Deborah Ann Woll, Rutina Wesley, Sam Trammell, Michael McMillian, Olivia Cooke, Alexander Ludwig, Charlaine Harris, Richard Hatch, David Boreanaz, Chris Warner, Marie Lu, George R.R Martin Through the Mail: Orlando Bloom, (actor), Judi Dench, Jim Davis Others I have obtained: Enya, Tim Allen, Kenny Baker, Mark Hamil, Steven Ammell.
Autographs I would like: Jodi Benson, Helena Bonham Carter, Tim Burton, Michael Emerson, Mary McDonnell.

writer of educational book titles for children
www.facebook.com/sarahcatscats