How do you store your autographs?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!

Moderator: admin

TheMailman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

How do you store your autographs?

Post by TheMailman »

I know this has been discussed before but I really want to hear aload of different opinions. I store mine in clear pockets which are then placed in a folder but then I think putting them in a folder is no way to show them off but I don't want to put them in frames as that would cost too much. I wanna hear loads of different opinions so please post- Thank you 8)
Volante
Interests:

Post by Volante »

Everything seems to cost too much for you! :P ;)

I store them in plastic sleeves put in a binder... I have on of them in a cheaper frame (you know a small standard, with glass and hanging ability).
click banner to check out my autographs :)
F.A.D.E
Interests:

Post by F.A.D.E »

At the moment I have mine in an old cigar box!! :lol:
TheMailman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by TheMailman »

Thanks for replying guys, keep em' coming :wink:
R.S.V.P
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by R.S.V.P »

Here are some tips that will help to protect your collection from irreversable damage:

- Keep your collection in the dark in a cool dry place. Heat and humidity contribute to the destruction of paper, especially paper containing acid from wood pulp. Light fades many inks (especially felt-tip) and browns the paper.

- Do not store autographs in a fireproof safe. The humidity level in the safe is high in order to protect documents in a fire. Unfortunatelly that level is too high, and it will eventually damage your autographs.

- Store autographs only in Mylar “D” polyester or cellulose acetate folders, and put them in an archival acid-free box. Never use polyvinyl chloride (PVC) folders. They can be identified by their strong “plastic” odor. Use only acid-free paper insert; the black paper inserts included with some sheet protectors are highly acidic and will destroy your autographs.

- Avoid repairing paper will cellophane (“Scotch”) or masking tape. The adhesive will damage and eventually destroy the paper. If a repair is necessary, use only archival paper mending tissue. Better yet, seek expert help

- Remove paper clips and staples from multipage documents, because they cause rust stains.

- You can usually remove old paper documents glued down to album pages by soaking them in lukewarm water, but don’t use this method on vellum or parchment documents, documents written in aniline ink, or modern documents

- Avoid framing valuable autographs. But if you insists on framing an autograph, use only acid-free matting materials and UF3 Plexiglas or museum glass. The autograph should never be pasted or taped down in any way. Mylar “D” or other acid-free mounting corners should be used to keep the item from shifting in the frame

- Display them away from direct sunlight, fluorescent lighting, and sources of heat (such as radiators)

Best,
Stephan
"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a B * * C H, okay." - Madonna

http://www.facebook.com/ViaVenueAutographs
TheMailman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by TheMailman »

I have no idea what sort of folder mine is but autographs have been stored in it since late January and they are still fine. I think the main priority is that they are out of sunlight and heat {up}
R.S.V.P
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by R.S.V.P »

TheMailman wrote:I think the main priority is that they are out of sunlight and heat {up}
Oh lord, not at all. :shock: Please read my tips very carefully, especially the part about the acid-free folders.

Best,
Stephan
"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a B * * C H, okay." - Madonna

http://www.facebook.com/ViaVenueAutographs
TheMailman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by TheMailman »

I read it all but thats getting too fancy and technical. I just have them in pockets :wink:
Mighty_Modders
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Mighty_Modders »

yeah, i keep mine in an a4 display folder thingy on bits of a4 paper...the joys of wh smith :P i found some funky mount thingys that i think are meant for postcard collecting...but they do the job. tested them first, theyre cheap enough that htey dont stick too well so wont end up ripping everything up if i ever want to take them off.
Kiss Addict
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Kiss Addict »

cheap frames do the job for me