New Fanmail collector

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
spookycarlee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

New Fanmail collector

Post by spookycarlee »

Hi there! I'm a Canadian fan mail collector [ca] . I've sent my first handful of letters out on July 3rd. (Wish me luck!!). I had a few questions and sorry if they sound silly, again, I'm new to this world. First off, I'm seeing a lot of autograph email success on here. Could someone explain to me what that is? Do you request an autograph via email? Secondly, as I'm out of America and most addresses are American, do I have to always drive over the border to get the stamps or is their easier ways to get to American Stamps? I would also love some tricks and tips if you have any or any celebrities you know that reply! Also, what envelope size do you normally use?
Mark_467
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: New Fanmail collector

Post by Mark_467 »

Welcome to the hobby, firstly in relation to the stamps I also live outside of the US and the most convenient way is to buy "Forever Stamps" on Ebay. Secondly regarding getting autographs via email, you simply just mention that you are a fan of theirs and would appreciate it if they were to send an autograph to you and put your address at the bottom of the email.

For the emails, I have had recent success's from actress Judi Dench,TV presenter Graham Norton, and my most recent being your Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (via his website).
For letters, you may have seen that many people send a letter requesting an autograph to a theater or music venue near by where someone will be performing at, this is a good way of getting people that may not normally sign through their agency.

Best of luck with your letters you sent out!
Mark V
2018 Success's [58]: Judi Dench(2) ,Johnny Marr, Martin Freeman, Simon Pegg,Conan O Brien(2), Car Seat Headrest, Leo Varadkar (Irish Prime Minister), Gay Byrne, Matt Damon(2), Greg Davies, Graham Norton(2), Ryan Tubridy, Paul Weller, Franz Ferdinand, Wild Beasts,Tom Hanks, Justin Trudeau, Bruce Dern, Aaron Eckhart, Seth MacFarlane,Sam Elliott, Nick Frost, Lochlyn Munro, Jeff Goldblum, Demián Bichir,Ed Asner, Alex Jones, Tim Allen, Jimmy Carter, Phillip Schofield & Holly Willoughby, Patricia Franklin, Aslan (The Band), David Attenborough, Whoopi Goldberg, Bryan Ferry(2), Sean Bean, Clint Hill, Martin Sheen, The Vaccines (The Band), Steven Ogg, Hugh Bonneville, Ricky Gervais, Blossoms (The Band), Michael Caine,Charles Bradley,Beck, Henry Winkler, Craig T Nelson, Kevin Nelon,Post Malone, Jeremy Bulloch.
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

For a SASE from the US to outside that country, what you want are the "Global forever" stamps, what used to be called airmail (or: You can buy regular forever stamps that add up to the price of a Global forever.)

Don't take this an insult, but despite what others here think, US stamps, including Global forever, only work FROM the US, not TO the US from another country. (Sure, one or two envelopes may slip by, but why take that chance?)
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
spookycarlee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by spookycarlee »

Hartster wrote:For a SASE from the US to outside that country, what you want are the "Global forever" stamps, what used to be called airmail (or: You can buy regular forever stamps that add up to the price of a Global forever.)

Don't take this an insult, but despite what others here think, US stamps, including Global forever, only work FROM the US, not TO the US from another country. (Sure, one or two envelopes may slip by, but why take that chance?)
Thank you for the advice! Do not worry, I only use the US stamps for the return envelope :)
spookycarlee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by spookycarlee »

Mark_467 wrote:Welcome to the hobby, firstly in relation to the stamps I also live outside of the US and the most convenient way is to buy "Forever Stamps" on Ebay. Secondly regarding getting autographs via email, you simply just mention that you are a fan of theirs and would appreciate it if they were to send an autograph to you and put your address at the bottom of the email.

For the emails, I have had recent success's from actress Judi Dench,TV presenter Graham Norton, and my most recent being your Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (via his website).
For letters, you may have seen that many people send a letter requesting an autograph to a theater or music venue near by where someone will be performing at, this is a good way of getting people that may not normally sign through their agency.

Best of luck with your letters you sent out!
Mark V
Thank you so much, Mark, for all your advice! It is greatly appreciated. I'll undoubtedly test my luck with Justin Trudeau. Wish me luck :)