Questions about Autographs

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
brightlightdarkroom
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Questions about Autographs

Post by brightlightdarkroom »

Hey dear fans, I know we all are fan of someone and that's what brought us here. I'm such a new one and honestly I discovered this site last week. I found it very useful, first I thought the adresses might be wrong but seeing feedbacks surprised me a lot! I never thought celebs'd spare time for their fans because we know they're really busy and FAMOUS. :razz:

I have a lot of favorite actors,actresses and singers. But I want to send letters to the ones whom I love most. Well, I'm very new here and I got some questions to you. I hope I write these things to the right forum :lol:

My questions are like....

1)I want to send a letter but, do celebs only return to the photo-autograph requests? ( Which one is beneficial for me? Sendind letter or wanting a autographed photo? )

2) Do you also write a letter when you send a photo to be signed?

3) I'm hopeless a little. Should I get desperate when I'm not returned, should I give up? Or should I try again?

4) Which size envelopes do you use when you only send letter? Normal size?

I'll be very happy if you answer my questions. Thank youuu 8)
Last edited by brightlightdarkroom on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
FCM
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Hello people, Let's meet!

Post by FCM »

Here are answers to your questions ;-)

1. You'll only get a response if you ask for an autographed photo. If you write only a letter, then you will get no response, not that I know of. If you ask for an autograph and send a letter, however, you might get a bit more than an autograph. I wrote to Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann in Gilligan's Island, telling her I think she played Mary Ann wonderfully and that I'd like her autograph. Not only did I get her autograph, but I got my letter back with the words, "What a nice letter!" on the back of it.

2. Always write a letter! First of all, you should let them know you want an autograph. Don't send just a picture and envelope! The letter is called an LoR, letter of request. And second, but just as important, give him/her compliments. Tell them about what you like about them, not just the character they played or that you like the words of a song. Write how amazing his/her talent is! That makes you more likely to get a response.

3. Look at feedback that other people have given, and you should know the proper time you should receive a response. I looked at feedback for Christopher Plummer (Captain von Trapp from The Sound of Music) and saw it takes him from one-and-a-half months to three months to respond, so I waited that amount of time. Sure enough, it took one-and-a-half months! It should happen at the same rate others received autographs, but it could also happen sooner or later. Just have patience!

However, there's an alternate answer. I was getting worried when I hadn't gotten a reply from Kathryn Beaumont (Wendy from Peter Pan and Alice from Alice in Wonderland) still hadn't responded. She seemed to take three months, but it had been six months, and I hadn't gotten anything! I then learned that celebrities are given batches of autographs at a time. Everyone had responses with her at once but had sent letters at different times, so there was no pattern. Just have patience! It's hard, but it may eventually end up in your mailbox!

4. If it's only a letter, just send a letter-sized envelope.

I hope this helps! :)

FCM

P.S. I suggest you change the subject title from "Hello people, Let's meet!" to something like "Autograph questions". The title you have sounds like spam and will likely be deleted.
I love hearing others' opinions! However, before you start commenting, please read this carefully: I welcome opinions but will not obey orders and suggestions. So, please don't say, "Toss that in the trash," or, "Frame the autograph right away," etc. I understand that you're sharing what you'd do, but you can't make me do what you order--what I received in the mail is mine, not yours.

brightlightdarkroom
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Questions about Autographs

Thank you very much! You're very kind {??} I've changed the topic. And the things you said are very helpful. But I want to ask one more question. What is SASE? I see that word in some feedbacks. And I couldn't understand :(
FCM
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by FCM »

brightlightdarkroom wrote:Thank you very much! You're very kind {??} I've changed the topic. And the things you said are very helpful. But I want to ask one more question. What is SASE? I see that word in some feedbacks. And I couldn't understand :(
A SASE is a self-addressed stamped envelope. You put it in the envelope you're sending to the celebrity. It's for the autograph to be sent back in. It's always smart to include one; you're more likely to get an autograph if you send one. :)
I love hearing others' opinions! However, before you start commenting, please read this carefully: I welcome opinions but will not obey orders and suggestions. So, please don't say, "Toss that in the trash," or, "Frame the autograph right away," etc. I understand that you're sharing what you'd do, but you can't make me do what you order--what I received in the mail is mine, not yours.

FCM
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by FCM »

Also, if you like Star Wars, I made a list of the main Star Wars actors and what they do and don't do. There's also typical autograph collecting help at the bottom.

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1167499

brightlightdarkroom
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

FCM wrote:
brightlightdarkroom wrote:Thank you very much! You're very kind {??} I've changed the topic. And the things you said are very helpful. But I want to ask one more question. What is SASE? I see that word in some feedbacks. And I couldn't understand :(
A SASE is a self-addressed stamped envelope. You put it in the envelope you're sending to the celebrity. It's for the autograph to be sent back in. It's always smart to include one; you're more likely to get an autograph if you send one. :)

Okayyy! I understood what it means :lol: {??}
brightlightdarkroom
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

FCM wrote:Also, if you like Star Wars, I made a list of the main Star Wars actors and what they do and don't do. There's also typical autograph collecting help at the bottom.

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=1167499

I read this useful post although I don't like Star Wars. It's very helpful for the people who love it. Thanks for sharing {up} ;-)
brightlightdarkroom
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Well I've got another question and sorry for bothering you :? :( :lol:

Which times of the years I am luckier to get autographs? Would it go to waste if I send a letter now because of the possibility of my favorite actor's on holiday? :D Or is it better if I send it as fast as possible?
FCM
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by FCM »

brightlightdarkroom wrote:Well I've got another question and sorry for bothering you :? :( :lol:

Which times of the years I am luckier to get autographs? Would it go to waste if I send a letter now because of the possibility of my favorite actor's on holiday? :D Or is it better if I send it as fast as possible?
As far as I know, that doesn't matter. The letter will eventually (hopefully--some celebrities never respond through the mail, such as Demi Moore or Natalie Pormtan; there's a topic about that on here) be forwarded to the celebrity by a secretary or fan mail manager. There is not a typical time of the year that you are more likely to get autographs in. It wouldn't be a waste sending a request if your favorite actor is on holiday; you'd likely get it later, but still get an autograph.