How to discern PP, AP and authentic autographs?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
LARams
$10 gift certificate winner

How to discern PP, AP and authentic autographs?

Post by LARams »

What methods are there to determine whether an autograph is pre-printed, auto pen, or authentic?
Favorite Autographs: Crew of the Enola Gay, Barack Obama, Leonardo DiCaprio, Hillary Clinton, Kirk Douglas, Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods.

Check out my TTM blog with email successes! http://www.gridironshowcase.weebly.com

Let's cut the nonsense.
You don't want a blog where some guy is trying to sell you his book of TTM "secrets" or trying to beg for donations.
You don't want a blog that will give your computer cancer with ads.
Gridiron Showcase is an ad-free and non-profit blog that documents addresses that actually work.
dancingirl1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: How to discern PP, AP and authentic autographs?

Post by dancingirl1 »

With AP's, compare them to other members. Also certain agencies ALWAYS send AP's.

With PP's, know who you send BEFORE you send to them. Just do a little research and check out the other members "successes" as far as PP's go.
Britney Spears==>> 6 #1 albums. 2 diamond albums. 8 platinum albums. 400+ awards. 200M+ records sold. Britney has sold over 45 million records this decade despite only releasing three albums. Globally, Britney has more #1 singles than any other female artist except Madonna and Rihanna. "Oops!...I Did It Again" by Britney is the 5th best selling album of the 2000s decade worldwide. Britney is the only female artist to chart her first seven albums in the top two of the Billboard 200. Britney has achieved at least one #1 album in 3 different decades (90's, 00's, 10's). Britney is the first solo female artist from the 90's to reach 1 billion Spotify streams. Despite NOT even being a single, 'Tom's Diner', ft. Britney , has become Giorgio Moroders best-selling digital track. 2015 Billboard Awards ratings reached a 14-year high, with numbers peaking during Britney's performance. She IS the princess of Pop. Bow Down! #StayMadHaters
LARams

Post by LARams »

dancingirl1 wrote:With AP's, compare them to other members. Also certain agencies ALWAYS send AP's.

With PP's, know who you send BEFORE you send to them. Just do a little research and check out the other members "successes" as far as PP's go.
Thanks for the post. My question is referring to the methods on how to determine what ones I own are AP or PP if I ever have concerns.
Favorite Autographs: Crew of the Enola Gay, Barack Obama, Leonardo DiCaprio, Hillary Clinton, Kirk Douglas, Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods.

Check out my TTM blog with email successes! http://www.gridironshowcase.weebly.com

Let's cut the nonsense.
You don't want a blog where some guy is trying to sell you his book of TTM "secrets" or trying to beg for donations.
Gridiron Showcase is an ad-free and non-profit blog that documents addresses that actually work.
dancingirl1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dancingirl1 »

LARams wrote:My question is referring to the methods on how to determine what ones I own are AP or PP if I ever have concerns.
Who do you have thus far? Cause if you search on the forum certain stars always use AP's and PP's. So who you have so far?
Britney Spears==>> 6 #1 albums. 2 diamond albums. 8 platinum albums. 400+ awards. 200M+ records sold. Britney has sold over 45 million records this decade despite only releasing three albums. Globally, Britney has more #1 singles than any other female artist except Madonna and Rihanna. "Oops!...I Did It Again" by Britney is the 5th best selling album of the 2000s decade worldwide. Britney is the only female artist to chart her first seven albums in the top two of the Billboard 200. Britney has achieved at least one #1 album in 3 different decades (90's, 00's, 10's). Britney is the first solo female artist from the 90's to reach 1 billion Spotify streams. Despite NOT even being a single, 'Tom's Diner', ft. Britney , has become Giorgio Moroders best-selling digital track. 2015 Billboard Awards ratings reached a 14-year high, with numbers peaking during Britney's performance. She IS the princess of Pop. Bow Down! #StayMadHaters
Morphendil
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Morphendil »

dancingirl1 wrote:
LARams wrote:My question is referring to the methods on how to determine what ones I own are AP or PP if I ever have concerns.
Who do you have thus far? Cause if you search on the forum certain stars always use AP's and PP's. So who you have so far?

what has it got to do with you? Mind your own business freak.
Current Autographs collected: jimmy saville. Rolf Harris. Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage, Brian Warner, Franz Ferdinand, Karl Pilkington, George A Romero, Summer Glau, Juliet Landau, Paul Freeman, I love dicks Sibel Kekilli, Antony Head, John Hurt, Carey Mulligan, Ken Dodd. Duncan Jones, Bryan Cranston (PP), Judi Dench, Wes Craven, Natalie Dormer, Stephen Merchant, Anne Hathaway (pp), Sigourney Weaver, Carrie Henn, Neve Campbell, Rose Leslie, billy fartpants Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Betty bum kicker Richard O'Brien

Fingers crossed for: Terry Wogan fake wonton billy wonks Jay Baruchel, Lucy Liu, Maisie Williams, Gemma Chan, Nicole Kidman, Gwendoline Christie, Mel Brooks, Chloë Grace Moretz
dancingirl1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dancingirl1 »

Morphendil wrote:what has it got to do with you? Mind your own business freak.
what are you talking about? hahaha!! they wanna know if they have an AP or PP, so it would help to know who they have. ALSO once they post something, it's everyone's business.
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

For autopens, make a scan or a copy and overlay it with another scan or a copy (especially if the person doesn't sign your stuff, but sends out the same photo to everybody, but may be signed in a different spot.) If it's an autopen, there may be some variation if the machine shifts, but it'll match exactly.

Presidents, government officials and astronauts are the ones most likely to use the autopen.

For preprints, if the signature looks flat and there's no variation in strokes, no depth to the writing, then it's part of the photos. Studio Fan Mail sends out preprints, but others do too, especially if they don't sign your stuff but send you a "signed" photo anyway.

A lot of celebrities who don't sign authentically but send out a "signed" photo will send out a preprint, not an autopen (as you need a special machine.)

Presidents also are most likely to send out preprints or autopens but with a secretarial doing the dedication. Astronaut crew photos, too, have been spotted with autopenned signatures but an inscription in someone else's hand.

Gene Wilder was rumored to have used a secretary, particularly later on as he was getting ill. So is John Travolta, despite an address on his website asking fans to send fan mail to. Avery Brooks is another one; there's one key difference between his secretary and a genuine Brooks.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
LARams

Post by LARams »

Hartster wrote:For autopens, make a scan or a copy and overlay it with another scan or a copy (especially if the person doesn't sign your stuff, but sends out the same photo to everybody, but may be signed in a different spot.) If it's an autopen, there may be some variation if the machine shifts, but it'll match exactly.

Presidents, government officials and astronauts are the ones most likely to use the autopen.

For preprints, if the signature looks flat and there's no variation in strokes, no depth to the writing, then it's part of the photos. Studio Fan Mail sends out preprints, but others do too, especially if they don't sign your stuff but send you a "signed" photo anyway.

A lot of celebrities who don't sign authentically but send out a "signed" photo will send out a preprint, not an autopen (as you need a special machine.)

Presidents also are most likely to send out preprints or autopens but with a secretarial doing the dedication. Astronaut crew photos, too, have been spotted with autopenned signatures but an inscription in someone else's hand.

Gene Wilder was rumored to have used a secretary, particularly later on as he was getting ill. So is John Travolta, despite an address on his website asking fans to send fan mail to. Avery Brooks is another one; there's one key difference between his secretary and a genuine Brooks.
Thanks for the great post! I was looking for an answer like this :)

Let's cut the nonsense.
dancingirl1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dancingirl1 »

Ohhh okay, I see.

The Shine Test:
(for autographs on shiny photo paper): Hold your autographed photo under a bright light so that a strong shine appears on the surface. Move the photo around. Examine how the image of the celebrity is no longer visible under the blinding shine spot. Now move the shine spot to the signature.

1. Does the signature blaze different colors? This is a good sign.
2. Does the signature disappear just like the photo image did? If so, it probably is a preprint (a printed copy of an autographed photo by the celebrity).
3. Does the signature remaine in the blinding shine but appear dull? This is probably a rubber stamp or autopen.

SIGNED PHOTOS: .. Observe how the ink blazes different colors under the light. The Ink is Over the Gloss of the Photo. The signature is still distinguishable under the shine and blazes and radiates different colors. Ink is like a high gloss paint. It is a shiny, reflective coating. Black, blue, purple, red, green inks will all shine differently on glossy paper but all become almost iridescent. Silver and Gold ink seem to have different qualities to them. This ink will still be apparent among a bright photo shine though won’t change colors as much but glitter more. The ink is real, not preprinted. If the photo is actually signed, go on to the next step to make sure they didn't use a secretary.

AUTOPENS: First off, autopenned signatures are usually of the same thickness and pressure throughout. Almost all of the autopen examples that are seen are shaky, which result from the movement of the machine. Unless the person whose autograph you want is known for being particularly nervous, I would think twice before sending to one of them. You can also look for "dots" from the pen/ marker lifting up from the machine. You can see these VERY easily with silver marker. Like the user above said this is done a lot with presidents and members of the government. Also the agency Spanky Taylor is VERY well known for using AP machines....FYI: Johnny Depp ==> (from that address.)

RUBBER STAMP AUTOGRAPH: have a dull look to them. They don't shine too nicely on glossy paper and they just have a lifeless look to them. Lifeless is a good description for them because they didn’t originate from a live hand. They didn’t flow from the hand of one you admire and transfer a piece of celebrity from hand to pen to paper, and I think that is the whole magic of autograph collecting. Rubber stamps are a dip in ink with a plate and apply. One motion. And that is why these autographs really stand out in my eyes. I don’t see all the little variations found in hand writing. No dots, no hesitation marks, no variation in pressure, no lines crossing over in a flow. Just a dull image made from one motion. I have seen some newer more elaborate rubber stamps. It looks like they are done in sections so it will appear like the lines are crossing over eachother making a weird looking print of unnatural pen line flow. Your eyes can’t follow the lines because the word flow make no liner sense. It is in sections and layers. Sometimes rubber stamps can have a textured, bumpy "GLOPPY" look to them and the lines are just a little or a lot too thick. Also they can smear a lot easier too. Not many stars do stamped autographs; just a handful.

SEC SIGNITURES: Celebrities have always had secretaries sign photos for them. Some secretarial signatures are so good even the experts have trouble telling the difference. Other examples are easier to tell. I have seen photos that contain both a secretarial inscription (“To what’s your face, Love,”) and a preprinted autograph of the celebrity. Some are notorious for having secs to their signing: Britney Spears.

Also IDK how much experience you have, but there is a site called "SFM" which means Studio Fan Mail and everything they send are pre prints. Just so you know.
mushroom
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mushroom »

LARams wrote:
Hartster wrote:For autopens, make a scan or a copy and overlay it with another scan or a copy (especially if the person doesn't sign your stuff, but sends out the same photo to everybody, but may be signed in a different spot.) If it's an autopen, there may be some variation if the machine shifts, but it'll match exactly.

Thanks for the great post! I was looking for an answer like this :)