Haven't received over 20+ Autographs, Doing something wrong?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
DukeD
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Haven't received over 20+ Autographs, Doing something wrong?

Post by DukeD »

So as the title suggests, I've sent out over 20 letters with SASEs, a few words and an item to autograph and I haven't received anything back and it's been well over three months.
I'm just going to outline my process really quickly, if anybody sees anything wrong, please clarify where I have made a mistake in the mailing process or something? I'm in the UK, mostly sending to the USA for reference.

1.) Write out the letter, clearly, marking the US address.
2.) Put UK stamps on the letter. (using the correct amount of postage)
3.) Put whatever I need to send in the letter.
4.) Put US stamps on the SASE. (using the correct amount of postage, making sure it is a paper envelope)
5.) Placing that inside the letter.
6.) Send the letter off.

Have I messed up somewhere? It's super demotivating to receive nothing back but I'm willing to correct any mistakes I've made to retry again.
CWill97
$10 gift certificate winner

Re: Haven't received over 20+ Autographs, Doing something wr

Post by CWill97 »

When you say a few words, do you mean a letter or just simply asking for the person to sign? You need to actually write a solid letter if you want to get autographs. If not, the person may think you're just going to sell it on eBay or wherever. For receiving, it really all depends on who you're sending to. Some celebs won't sign ever. If you're sending to a top notch actor, there's a good chance they won't sign. Another thing is you're sending internationally. Requests like that will automatically take much longer. Waiting sucks, but it's the only thing you can do. Patience is the name of the game unfortunately.

My suggestion would be to try some celebrities/whoever you're sending to that's from the U.K. You're more likely to get a success faster from them. You'll start to gain more confidence about the hobby once you receive a few that way. Other than that, just wait it out. Requests vary from 4 days to years. Longest wait I've had for one is 6 years. Good luck, and it's a great hobby so I wouldn't give up on it. Everyone who's collected for a long time has had cold streaks. They suck but it's what makes the hobby fun. You never know what till get and from who.
EVERY REQUEST INCLUDES A SASE, INDEX CARD FOR "SLIGHT" PROTECTION AND LOR!!

NONE OF MY AUTOGRAPHS ARE FOR SALE!!! THEY ARE FOR MY PERSONAL COLLECTION ONLY!!!

Autograph collecting is a hobby of mine. It is not meant to be anything for profit nor beyond my enjoyment. I only send out to people I have deep respect for in their profession/field. I send out to the following but not limited to: professional/college athletes/coaches, actors/actresses from TV shows, artists/authors, voice actors/actresses, and any other random celebrity I love/respect. I try to respect everyone's privacy the best I can.

Feel free to private message me about anything. I'm always willing to help if I can. Just do not demand addresses/advice. Be chill about it and I'll definitely be of some help! Aggression and entitlement gets nothing.

Best advice I can give everyone about autograph collecting through the mail are the 3 P's:

BE POLITE!!!
BE POSITIVE!!!
BE PATIENT!!!
DukeD
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by DukeD »

CWill97 wrote:When you say a few words, do you mean a letter or just simply asking for the person to sign? You need to actually write a solid letter if you want to get autographs. If not, the person may think you're just going to sell it on eBay or wherever. For receiving, it really all depends on who you're sending to. Some celebs won't sign ever. If you're sending to a top notch actor, there's a good chance they won't sign. Another thing is you're sending internationally. Requests like that will automatically take much longer. Waiting ****, but it's the only thing you can do. Patience is the name of the game unfortunately.

My suggestion would be to try some celebrities/whoever you're sending to that's from the U.K. You're more likely to get a success faster from them. You'll start to gain more confidence about the hobby once you receive a few that way. Other than that, just wait it out. Requests vary from 4 days to years. Longest wait I've had for one is 6 years. Good luck, and it's a great hobby so I wouldn't give up on it. Everyone who's collected for a long time has had cold streaks. They suck but it's what makes the hobby fun. You never know what till get and from who.
I'm going to try to carry on with the hobby! :lol: Was I doing anything wrong in the mailing process that you could see?

Most of my mailings have been to Voice actors from video games/Anime, some smaller TV shows and some older movies. Hoping to get something from someone soon, other than that I'll send out a big batch of 10 and hope I get something back! :D

EDIT: By a few words, I mean an A5 sized piece of paper with what I liked about their performance, hope to see more, etc etc.
CWill97

Post by CWill97 »

From the mailing process, it honestly looked fine. I'd say just wait it out and send the new batch to different people of course. You'll get a success eventually and you'll be pumped up when you do. I'm huge on sending to voice actors from anime/cartoons. I suggest sending two of your requests to voice actors that work at Funimation. I'm not sure what anime you're into, but two Funimation VAs that are amazing signers and voice actors in general are Eric Vale and Brina Palencia. Feel free to list a few anime you're into and I can tell you if I've had success with any VAs from them. I have probably close to 100 different VAs for autographs just for anime so I don't mind helping a newcomer give it a go. I'll give you a response in the morning whenever I wake up
EVERY REQUEST INCLUDES A SASE, INDEX CARD FOR "SLIGHT" PROTECTION AND LOR!!

NONE OF MY AUTOGRAPHS ARE FOR SALE!!! THEY ARE FOR MY PERSONAL COLLECTION ONLY!!!

Autograph collecting is a hobby of mine. It is not meant to be anything for profit nor beyond my enjoyment. I only send out to people I have deep respect for in their profession/field. I send out to the following but not limited to: professional/college athletes/coaches, actors/actresses from TV shows, artists/authors, voice actors/actresses, and any other random celebrity I love/respect. I try to respect everyone's privacy the best I can.

Feel free to private message me about anything. I'm always willing to help if I can. Just do not demand addresses/advice. Be chill about it and I'll definitely be of some help! Aggression and entitlement gets nothing.

Best advice I can give everyone about autograph collecting through the mail are the 3 P's:

BE POLITE!!!
BE POSITIVE!!!
BE PATIENT!!!
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

Three months is a short time, particularly when sending overseas. It's the luck of the draw - some may be fast responders, some may be slow, and some may not respond at all - even with those who have responded to other people.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimmylee »

I think your only mistake is expecting replies back so quick :)

As mentioned, replies can take years.
My personal best is 2 years.
NO LONGER ACTIVE
brandnewfan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by brandnewfan »

I waited about two years for a success from Nicholas Hoult. He's overseas (for me) and he was particularly busy with filming during that timeframe.

But he sent me a signed photo and a short letter apologizing for the delay.

Dry spells happen and they are very discouraging. I actually fell out of the habit for a few years because I let that discouragement get the better of me. When I think about all the successes I could've had if I hadn't quit, ugh!

So don't quit ;)
Poe
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Poe »

I'm in the same boat, I've sent a fair few out now from the UK to the US and haven't heard anything back for several months, even from actors who aren't so well known. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I haven't screwed up the process somewhere along the way, having done exactly the same as you - I think as soon as I get my first reply I'll know that everything is working and it's all good. In the meantime, as other suggested, I'd really recommend writing to UK celebrities, I have received some really fast responses from a couple (a couple of weeks turn around) and even a couple of bigger names. I think it is just a waiting game, and also something of a 'the more you send the better the odds are' thing - the more letters you send out to more people I guess you're more likely to have a response, but I know at the same time it's frustrating when you only really want a couple of people! Good luck - and keep us posted! {??}