Playbill Collectors

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
Trottersfan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Playbill Collectors

Post by Trottersfan »

philly0330 wrote:To trottersfan,
Unlike in the U.K. (west end), playbills are free, well with the intention that you've seen the show. While a big budget show like "The Little Mermaid" or the "Lion King" might reply without an SASE of yours, most likely shows like "In the Heights" or "Curtains" and the majority of other shows probably would not. So I would defanetly include a SASE if at all possible.

As to what to write, you could talk about how incredible you think that the cast is of a show, or that you've listened to the cast recording and it's one of your favourites. Who knows..maybe even write "When & if I come to NYC, I defanetly will have to see the show." You could also comment that you've heard about the set or something like that and that you've seen the production photographs and the whole show just looks amazing. And if the show is in London as well, you could write that while you loved the London version, you'd love to see the Broadway version + that cast. No need for the note to be that long...especially if you're (no offense to these shows) writing to Wicked, TLM, Phantom of the Opera, becuase most of the time it looks like they don't read them. However, Spamalot appeared to do so! But you could have possibly seen that one.
Thanks! Im sending to Wicked this week! {thumb2}
Need any help? Contact me: trottersfan@fanmail.biz

http://www.trottersfansautographs.fotopic.net - UPDATED!!!

Favourite Success - Wayne Rooney Signed England Shirt
TheScarletPimpernel

Post by TheScarletPimpernel »

dewdrop10 wrote:Ive never collected playbills before.. so this actually might sound like a really dumb question.. but are playbills only for Broadway shows??
No questions are dumb questions :). And yes, playbills are for Broadway, Off-Broadway, and some Off-Off-Broadway shows, in regards to New York, but some concerts, such as Maria Friedman's WestEnd Concert: "Re-arranged" or Linda Eder's Christmas Concert at the Gershwin Theatre a few years ago (where Wicked is currently playing), have them as well, but don't always count on them.

Many national touring shows have either a Playbill, Showbill (same thing, usually just a little larger with a more creative booklet/cover), or some other form of program, but yes they do have them.

West End show's (London) have show 'programmes,' as they spell it there. However, unlike playbills they are not free, and I have yet to receive a response from any show there, even when sending two American dollars or so (I've tried "The Sound of Music" Revival, nothing; Drew Sarich with Les Miserables, nothing; and Jill Paice with Gone with the Wind, nothing as of yet), so I'm not actually sure if they do it. The London programs completely vary from show to show, from what content it's in them to what the cover or size may be.

And if you want to request a Broadway star's (or celebrity who has appeared on Broadway) you may ask to request a Playbill and they may or may not have one. Patti LuPone, whom I wrote to this past winter kindly sent me a Sweeney Todd (Revival) playbill from two years ago. However, Sebastian Bach does not have Jekyll & Hyde playbills anymore, but he was in the show in mid-2000.

Best of Luck, but to answer you're question quickly -- yes playbills are primarily for Broadway musicals or plays, or the national touring productions, or singers/recording artists whose concert venues are on Broadway.
WONDERLAND:Alice's New Musical Adventure enjoyed a short, but sweet run on Broadway in Spring of 2011!

-- GREG :D
PoliticalKid92
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by PoliticalKid92 »

I have:
*Wicked (Signed by all cast)
*Young Frankenstein (Signed by all cast--including Megan Mullally!)
*25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (Signed by all cast)
*November (Signed by all cast--including Nathan Lane and Laurie Metcalf!)
rennie64
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rennie64 »

I'm very interested in collecting autographed playbills. I have read this thread from the begining until the end and am a little confused.

I understand to send the LOR to Stage Manager of "_______" but where I have gotten confused is the SASE part. I have read it two different ways. Yes, to send SASE or no just send a letter to the Stage Manager.

Before I send out any request, before I send off some postage, I would love to know do I need to send them a SASE?

I am wanting "Spamalot" "Wicked" "November" and "Young Frankstein" and if I am not mistaking "Rent" is still running and I love to get their autographed playbill.

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind sending a SASE or extra stamps in a LOR. I just need to know what to send besides the LOR.

Thanks!!!
* Scanner Down and I am behind posting successes, sorry!

I've been collecting since November 2006
Total Autographs: 456
Personal Autographed Letters/Notes: 11
Authentic Autographs: 374
Possible Secretarial: 8
Inscribed Autographs: 215
Postcards: 5
Auto-Pen/Pre-Prints: 63
Stamped:1
Personal Phone Call: 1 - John Crawford!!!
In Person: Tim Wilson, New Found Glory

*May all your mailboxes be full*
danny2010

Post by danny2010 »

rennie64 wrote:Before I send out any request, before I send off some postage, I would love to know do I need to send them a SASE?
Hi rennie64,

You should always include a SESA in your request. If the celebrity is kind enough to sign the autograph and supply the pictures or playbills then try to cover the postage cost!

Good Luck! :mrgreen:

danny2010 8)
{star} Check out my entire collection: http://danielsautos.webs.com/ {star}
TheScarletPimpernel

Sorry I wasn't really clear above. Some "big-budget", "constant-sell-out" shows like WICKED will either not use your SASE (although sometimes they will), or will just send their own. Wicked I know for a fact does this, along with Phantom of the Opera. Spamalot, I sent a SASE, as well as I sent one to Young Frankenstein, and you just get responses a lot faster. Sending a SASE to Wicked or Phantom of the Opera will not speed up (or delay) the return time. If you are, however, sending to a specific actor ALWAYS include a SASE. If you're requested an unsigned or signed by the cast playbill, usually do, but for Wicked I wouldn't bother. I'm totally unaware about Rent, and I just sent a SASE to November.
WONDERLAND:Alice's New Musical Adventure enjoyed a short, but sweet run on Broadway in Spring of 2011!

rennie64
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rennie64 »

Thanks for the information guys!!! Much appreciated.
* Scanner Down and I am behind posting successes, sorry!

I've been collecting since November 2006
Total Autographs: 456
Personal Autographed Letters/Notes: 11
Authentic Autographs: 374
Possible Secretarial: 8
Inscribed Autographs: 215
Postcards: 5
Auto-Pen/Pre-Prints: 63
Stamped:1
Personal Phone Call: 1 - John Crawford!!!
In Person: Tim Wilson, New Found Glory

*May all your mailboxes be full*
NBAFan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by NBAFan »

I sent to Wicked, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Rent, Young Frankenstein, November, Curtains, and a few others back in March. The only one I got back was Wicked...

So, that's kinda weird I guess...

I'm not sure if I should try again... anyone else have an opinion on this? Has it been long enough to assume they are no coming back?
Happy collecting....
Visit my new site (still under construction) ===> TTMAutographs.com

Favorite TTM - Jackie Chan, Will Ferrell, Selma Blair, Stan Lee, Regis Philbin, Anna Faris, LL Cool J
Most Wanted - Johnny Depp (Authentic), Alan Rickman, Carrie Underwood, Angelina Jolie

Image Image
Sigs by Seb88
TheScarletPimpernel

NBAFan wrote:I sent to Wicked, Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Rent, Young Frankenstein, November, Curtains, and a few others back in March. The only one I got back was Wicked...

So, that's kinda weird I guess...

I'm not sure if I should try again... anyone else have an opinion on this? Has it been long enough to assume they are no coming back?
As I've said before, it depends on the stage manager...I didn't send a SASE to Curtains and got nothing back, and recently just sent a SASE. Young Frankenstein...it's weird you wouldn't have gotten anything back because they're usually pretty fast. I don't know about November or Rent, but I have heard that Cat.. takes a while.

Hope this helps!

amyfairycakes
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by amyfairycakes »

I have quite a number of playbills now :)
Spamalot (signed by cast, March '08)
Top Girls (unsigned)
Jersey Boys (signed by cast, April '08)
Cry-Baby (signed by cast)
Young Frankenstein (signed by cast)
Spring Awakening (OBC) signed
November (signed by Nathan Lane, though prob. secretarial so sent off for another one)
I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change (signed by cast)
Gypsy (signed by Patti LuPone)
Wicked (signed by cast, SJB & Annaleigh Ashford prod.)
Jackie Mason: The Ultimate Jew (signed by Jackie Mason)
Boeing-Boeing (signed by cast)
The Homecoming (signed by cast)
Macbeth (signed by Patrick Stewart)
Les Liaisons Dangereuses (signed by Laura Linney)
Cat on A Hot Tin Roof (signed by cast)

:)