Personalized or Not?

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.

Personalized or Not?

You may select 1 option

View results

Computer Gary
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Personalized or Not?

Post by Computer Gary »

A little background, since I'm new here: my preferred medium is plain 3x5 cards, signed with a fine point ink pen. The majority of my autographs are of people in the comic book field, obtained in person at conventions and such. I don't do mail requests, and the only other autographs I buy are celebrity signed checks.

That having been said, when I ask for an autograph I ask them to make it out to me, and to add today's date as well. If it's an artist, they'll sometimes ask if I want them to do a little sketch, or they'll just go ahead and do it without asking, but I won't ask for a sketch on the card because they're giving me the autograph for free.
Alfie1997
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Alfie1997 »

I prefer personalized autographs. I mean, sure, there are those that you would rather have not personalized so that they would sell better later, but it's kind of cool to think that this big important person was thinking about YOU for a few seconds at least. Even if they don't know you personaly, and probably will never meet you, for the 5 seconds it takes to sign a picture they are thinking about the you they know from the letter you wrote, and it's just kind of neat to know that.
joeym90
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by joeym90 »

It doesn't really bother me, if its someone who has a catch phrase or saying etc that means something to me I like to try and have that and have it dedicated to me but otherwise I never usually request it to be dedicated and whether it is or isn't doesn't bother me too much as its for my collection or to be displayed on the wall so either is good. :D
knightfan1980
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by knightfan1980 »

Doesn't matter to me as long as they are real.
ihavealife2uknow
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ihavealife2uknow »

I don't ask for them to personalize in a request, but I love it when I get it back personalized. I'm happy either way though.
theartist29
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by theartist29 »

I prefer them personalized, it makes it extra special to me.
sparklyfairies92
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by sparklyfairies92 »

I prefer a personalization, but would still be grateful to receive an autograph even without one. After all, celebrities do not owe me anything and whether they personalize an autograph or not, there is still time taken out of their day that they used to sign for me.
That_Deutscher
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by That_Deutscher »

Honestly, I don't prefer personalization. I have watched a lot of TV shows and the autograph appraisers say that once you have someone personalize an autograph, the value is monetary value is GONE.

Sure I wouldn't sell most of my autographs, as I have some really cool autographs from weirdly famous people, but I am thinking for down the line if my children or grandkids wanna sell my collection when I'm gone.

Anyway, long story short I usually leave the personalization up to the celeb. For instance, President George W. Bush made his pre-printed autograph out to me on the computer, while President Clinton sent me a personalized message. Then meanwhile people like Phil Collins and the athletes I have met never personalize.

So just leave it up to the celeb. especially if you meet them in-person getting the autograph. Some celebs get ticked off when you tell them what to do with an autograph.
2018 Sucesses:
    Purchased Sean Astin (charity donation)
    Sheila E. (Got at a show in Minneapolis)
    Weird Al Yankovic (Got following a show in northern Iowa)
    Sting (Singer)
    Shaggy
    President George Bush, Sr. (TTM)
Rooney2986
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Rooney2986 »

I always try to get stuff I'm getting signed personalized